Thanks

Windows 8 - problems with Wake-on-LAN

I have a Dell Optiplex 755 which I am using to triple-boot XP Pro, Windows 7 Pro 64-bit and Windows 8 Release Preview 64-bit. The motherboard NIC is Intel 82566DM-2.

I am getting anomalous results with attempting to wake up this PC from another PC on which I run a Wake-on-LAN program (WOLcmd from Depicus, not that it matters).

• If I have previously booted Win 8, and then shut down the Optiplex, or put it into (hybrid) sleep, the PC cannot be woken via Wake-on-LAN.
    • If I have previously booted Win 7, and then shut down the Optiplex, or put it into (hybrid) sleep, the PC can be woken via Wake-on-LAN.
    • Similarly, if I have previously booted Win XP, and then shut down the Optiplex, or put it into standby or hibernate, the PC can be woken via Wake-on-LAN.

This makes little sense to me, because I thought that once a PC was powered down, it should not remember the previous operating system which had been booted.

Working with Win 8, I have set all the usual WoL options in Device Manager -> Network Adapters -> Power Options. I have tried to load the most recent Intel ethernet drivers File name: PROWinx64.exe Version: 17.1 Size: 31.47 MB Operating Systems:Windows 7 *, Windows 7 (64-bit)*, but it won't let me load because it says that the operating system is not supported..

I have also tried disabling the Windows Firewall, to no effect.

If anyone comes across a post talking about PME, well, there is no such option in Device Manager -> Network Adapters for this particular NIC!

Any suggestions, folks?
    Last edited by BATcher; 2012-06-07 at 09:30.
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    You are most likely out of luck until Intel release Windows 8 specific drivers. The drivers that were included as part of Windows 8 are most likely the usual bare bones "just get the device working" type.

Joe

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Not a solution, but empathy. I too, cannot use WoL on Win8 RP.

I dual boot a custom built PC running Win7 Ultimate x64 and Win 8RP x64.

The sequence of my tests may however be important. A few days ago I posted here about a peculiar effect when trying to shut the machine down. The initial solution was to disable Fast Boot, which seemed to work, but after I re-enabled it, the shutdown issue still did not manifest itself. It was only after I went through that process that I tried WoL on Win8. Perhaps the strangeness surrounding Fast Boot and hybrid sleep has something to do with the problems with WoL - but it's only a guess mind.

I also observe that on Win8 when I resume from hibernation with fast boot, I get a mid blue screen reporting "resume from hibernation" before the Windows 8 Boot options screen (to choose between Win8 or Win7). If hibernate from Win7 and resume, I get the mid blue "resume from hibernation" and then the normal Win7 "resuming Windows" animated logo, followed by the traditional Windows 7 login screen. That suggests to me that if I were able to WoL it would resume from hibernation into the correct bootloader.

Don't know if any of that has helped: probably just muddied the waters even further!
    In God we trust; all others must bring data.

- William Edwards Deming. 1900 - 1993

Thanks
    Thanks to you both! I agree with Joe that it's about time that Intel brought out up-to-date Windows 8 NIC drivers!

And Mr Tinto (if I may call you that!), I also have had an occasional odd result from a reboot, where control did not pass to the EasyBCD 'menu choices' of the three operating systems, but went straight to boot Windows 8 (less frequently Windows 7) without displaying the screen or requiring any user interaction. As you say, this does seem to be sequence-dependent.

Does either of you, or anyone else for that matter, have any thoughts on my comment that "once a PC is powered down, it should not remember the operating system which had been booted immediately previously"? Surely at "Wake-on-LAN time" we are dealing simply with the NIC powering up the PC as a result of detecting a Magic Packet? <baffled!>
    BATcher

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    It could also be a problem with the BIOS conversing properly with Windows 8.

Joe

Thanks
    I would accept that if I thought that Windows 8 had anything to do with what happens at power-up time, before any decision is made which operating system to load!

I have the latest/final Optiplex 755 BIOS loaded, A19.
    BATcher

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Hmm, an interesting one Batcher.

Let me try to write down my thought process on this one and see if it leads anywhere....

The NIC, mobo and BIOS must be powered in order for the NIC to wakeup the system. The NIC is both configured for WoL in the user configurable settings of the BIOS and in the NIC properties in the OS. This implies both the BIOS and the OS have a degree of control over the process, but if I may paraphrase your question: "How does the OS, or its bootloader interact with the NIC to allow or disallow WoL?"

If the OS interacts with WoL (and there is a setting in the NIC properties to allow the card to wake up the PC), it must be stored somewhere. I don't think the active setting is on the drive because that does not spin up until the BIOS starts the machine - which by definition means the WoL has been activated. By implication then it's not in the bootloader either. What's left? Is there a register in the BIOS firmware device that gets set when you enable WoL in the OS?

If thought process is correct, then perhaps WoL can be mis-configured by a buggy OS, even though the OS has not loaded until after WoL has powered up the PC? Some of the symptoms we are seeing appear to fit that hypothesis. I used to be able to WoL from Windows 7 before I installed the dual boot Windows 8 and tinkered with the Fast Boot settings in Win8. There is something buggy going on with the boot process in Win8 since I can no longer create the issue that caused me to adjust the Fast Boot/Hybrid Sleep.....has the OS caused a stuck bit in a register in the firmware that controls wakeup???

I have to admit I'm at the limit of my knowledge and understanding about WoL, but something is odd and there does appear to be an interaction with the OS, even if it is set prior to power down.

Reviewing those thoughts, I think it's a long winded way of saying that Joe may be right: there may be an interaction between Windows 8 and the BIOS.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Perhaps a solution? - Worked for me at least

Turning off Fast startup may be the solution to this issue.

It seems some LAN controllers have an issue with this particular setting in Windows 8.

I turned it off by following the instructions below and suddenly was able to boot over WOL again.

Good luck to each of you!

Source -http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-hardware/fast-startup-breaks-wol-in-windows-8-rc/62a5764a-5325-4a03-a232-a516bb33e7f5

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by intertree View Post
    Turning off Fast startup may be the solution to this issue.

It seems some LAN controllers have an issue with this particular setting in Windows 8.

I turned it off by following the instructions below and suddenly was able to boot over WOL again.

Good luck to each of you!

Source -http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-hardware/fast-startup-breaks-wol-in-windows-8-rc/62a5764a-5325-4a03-a232-a516bb33e7f5
    This thread is not found on the server. Would you be able to double check it? Thanks.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    As noted in post #7 the problems did not occur for me until after I had explored Fast Boot settings relating to an different (but maybe connected) problem.

From my perspective, there is something buggy about the Windows 8 boot process involving Fast Boot, the detection and handling of external usb attached devices and WoL. Having played with the Fast Boot settings, I can no longer recreate the original issue on the USB devices noted in that other thread, but regardless of Fast Boot setting, I now do not have the ability to WoL, whereas before I did.

The Windows 8 boot loader is different to Windows 7. My suspicion is that, in the drive to make the boot process more secure (e.g. to make it harder for MBR malware infestations to take hold), Microsoft may have compromised the ability to handle some more exotic boot scenarios on certain platforms.

One can hope that this may be fixed by RTM. Time will tell.