Thread: new document

Lounger
    Thanks

new document

I am using Word 2007. Whenever I open it to start a new document, I get a capital "P". I've tried uninstalling and resinstalling it.

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    Are you sure it's not a '', which is simply a paragraph break marker? If it's a '', you can toggle its display on/off by clicking on the symbol on the Ribbon's home tab.

If it is actually a 'P', you've managed to add it to Word's 'Normal' template. Uninstalling & reinstalling Word won't fix that, as the template doesn't get deleted during the uninstallation. To deal with your faulty Word template, you basically have two choices:
    • edit it; or
    • get Word to re-create it.
    Editing is best if you’ve done customizations or macros that you want to keep.

To edit or re-create the template, first go to File|Options|Advanced > File Locations > User Templates > Modify. If you then click on the dialog box’s address bar, you’ll be able to see the full path. If you have a standard installation, it’ll point to:
    C:\Documents and Settings\%Username%\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates\

Then, to edit the template, choose File|Open and input file path into the dialog box’s address bar. Hint: If you have a standard installation, you can just copy & paste the bold string above into the address bar. Then, near the bottom right corner of the dialogue, change the file type to ‘Word Templates’. You should then see a file named ‘Normal.dotx’ or ‘Normal.dotm’. Select that file to open. When it opens, simply delete the unwanted content and re-save.

Getting Word to recreate the template is far easier. Simply close Word, then input file path into the Windows Explorer dialog’s address bar. Hint: If you have a standard installation, you can just copy & paste the bold string above into the address bar. Then, simply delete the ‘Normal.dotx’ or ‘Normal.dotm’ file. Office will re-create an empty one next time you start Word.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

3. The Following User Says Thank You to macropod For This Useful Post:

ltcafr (2012-06-07)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Does it go away if you turn off Show All? (Ctrl-* is a shortcut key to this; you might need to use Shift-8 for the *)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks!! It worked just fine (the template replacement). It's been driving me crazy. I knew it had to do with template, I just couldn't figure out to create new one. I'm going to save your instructions just in case.