Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Angry Difference in USB ports on front or back of computer?

My System is a Dell Precision Tower 5810 running Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit.

I have a couple of older WD My Book Essential External 2 TB Hard Drives.
    This is the WD Drive before the current My Book came out.

When I connect either WD My Book Essential External 2 TB Hard Drives to the 1 USB 3.0 Port on the front of the Tower, my System does not recognize that it is attached.

When I instead connect it to either of the 3 USB 2.0 Ports on the front of the Tower, my System does recognize that it is attached.

WD told me to try a USB 3.0 Port on the back of the Tower.

I did that & Viola, my System now recognizes that it is attached.

Since the WD My Book Essential External Hard Drives do support USB 3.0 I would of course rather use a USB 3.0 Port for the additional speed.
    But, there are only 3 USB 3.0 Ports on the back of the Tower and I use all three (2 Monitors and the UPS).
    I had to disconnect my UPS to be able to use that USB 3.0 Port.

I researched my problem and there seems to be conflicting opinions as to whether or not it matters if you use a USB 3.0 Port on the front or the back.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,418 Times in 1,291 Posts
    Steven,

Do USB 2.0 devices work on that front port?

According to the spec sheet:
    I/O Ports Front : 3 USB 2.0, 1 USB 3.0, 1 Microphone, 1 Headphone, Internal: 3 USB 2.0, 4 SATA 6Gb/s, 2 SATA 6GB/s (for
    optical drive(s)), Rear: 3 USB 2.0, 3 USB 3.0, 1 Serial, 2 PS2, 1 RJ45 (intel Gigabit Ethernet)
    It's always possible that the ports on the front were wired wrong and the one labeled as USB 3.0 is wired to a 2.0 header which would probably mean that one of the ones labeled 2.0 is really 3.0. Just a thought.

HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

jwoods
    A few tips for troubleshooting a USB device not recognized...

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/usb-device-not-recognized
    Last edited by jwoods; 2015-11-28 at 17:25.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I have a Win10 computer without USB 3.0 support so to gain it I added a USB 3.0 PCIe X1 card, got 2 ports on the back, have another computer I probably will do the same to since more storage devices are going that way.

Thanks
    Some time ago I bought a USB 3.0 Corsair 256 GB Survivor flash drive. I had nothing but problems with it when using the front USB 3.0 plugs when trying to move a lot of data at once, so I emailed support and they said to try it in a back USB 3.0 plug.
    I did and it worked fine there. Support said that the rear plugs go directly to the MB and the front plugs are cabled to the MB connections and it does make a difference in efficiency.
    The front USB 2.0 plugs work fine and also the USB 3.0 plugs as long as it's not an intensive operation.
    YMMV

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    The front USB port probably isn't connected. Does it work with USB2 devices?

cheers, Paul

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I just tried it.

The USB 3.0 Port on the front of the Tower does recognize a USB 2.0 Flash Drive when I put it in that port.

I do not get any error message (USB Device Not Recognized, etc.)
    The connected USB Flash Drive just does not show up as a Drive in "This PC"
    Last edited by StevenXXXX; 2015-11-29 at 10:35.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Started poking around under Device Manager

Under the Universal Serial Bus Controllers (last 3 items), I have 2 USB Root Hub & 1 USB Root Hub (xHCI)

Both of the USB Root Hub did not have the "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" checked
    But, the 1 USB Root Hub (xHCI) did have that checked

So, I unchecked that, restarted my Tower 5810 and now the WD My Book Essential External Hard Drives are recognized as a Drive in "This PC" when they are connected to the 1 USB 3.0 Port on the front of the Tower.

So, after restarting my Tower 5810 I went back under Device Manager.

I have 2 Generic SuperSpeed USB Hub
    Both of those had that item checked - so I unchecked both of them.

I have 4 Generic USB Hub
    But only 2 had that item checked - so I unchecked both of them.

I restarted my Tower 5810 again.

QUESTIONS

Why would some have the "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" and not the others.
    I have just had this Tower 5810 since late Sept 2015 & I assure you, "I" did not set those that way.

Did I mention I hate all forms of "Power Saving" & always set everything to stay on 100% of the time (i.e. No Sleep, Hibernation, etc.)
    I do turn off my Tower 5810 totally off every night - so that is enough power saving for me.
    Besides, the electrical rates around here are extremely low anyway.

And, I have found (like in this case) that Power Saving settings have a tendency to "conflict" with some operations.

What is the difference(s) between a USB Root Hub and a USB Root Hub (xHCI)
    I plan on researching that as soon as I post this.

Is there any reason why the "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" canNOT remain UNchecked all of the time in all of the 5 locations where I UNchecked it?
    Last edited by StevenXXXX; 2015-12-26 at 14:44.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Sounds like the usual software and hardware foibles. If you have a setting that works, stick with it.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by StevenXXXX View Post
    Started poking around under Device Manager

Under the Serial Bus Controllers, I have 2 USB Root Hub & 1 USB Root Hub (xHCI)

Both of the USB Root Hub did not have the "Allow the computer to turn off the device to save power" checked
    But, the 1 USB Root Hub (xHCI) did have that checked

So, I unchecked that, restarted my Tower 5810 and now the WD My Book Essential External Hard Drives are recognized as a Drive in "This PC" when they are connected to the 1 USB 3.0 Port on the front of the Tower.

So, after restarting my Tower 5810 I went back under Device Manager.

I have 2 Generic SuperSpeed USB Hub
    Both of those had that item checked - so I unchecked both of them.

I have 4 Generic USB Hub
    But only 2 had that item checked - so I unchecked both of them.

I restarted my Tower 5810 again.

QUESTIONS

Why would some have the "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" and not the others.
    I have just had this Tower 5810 since late Sept 2015 & I assure you, "I" did not set those that way.

Did I mention I hate all forms of "Power Saving" & always set everything to stay on 100% of the time (i.e. No Sleep, Hibernation, etc.)
    I do turn off my Tower 5810 totally off every night - so that is enough power saving for me.
    Besides, the electrical rates around here are extremely low anyway.

And, I have found (like in this case) that Power Saving settings have a tendency to "conflict" with some operations.

What is the difference(s) between a USB Root Hub and a USB Root Hub (xHCI)
    I plan on researching that as soon as I post this.

Is there any reason why the "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" canNOT remain UNchecked all of the time in all of the 5 locations where I UNchecked it?
    I'm with you, Steven. I always set my computer so that it is always on, and that it never sleeps or hibernates unless I tell it to. The only thing I set to turn off after a certain amount of time is my monitor, so I don't get a burned in image. I've heard that these days burn in is not a problem; but I do it anyway, out of habit, I guess.

My thought is that if the computer can turn off the port after a while, or if the port can turn off the computer after a while, connections can break, and they might not reestablish correctly. So I always uncheck all of those boxes.

Why are they checked by default? Perhaps the environmentalists have convinced the computer companies that they need to do that; that would be my best guess. (I'm not offering an opinion as to whether that is good or not, so let's not start an argument about that!)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    So no one thinks that rechecking those boxes is necessary?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post
    The only thing I set to turn off after a certain amount of time is my monitor, so I don't get a burned in image. I've heard that these days burn in is not a problem; but I do it anyway, out of habit, I guess.
    That "burn-in" was a huge problem back in the days of Interlaced CRT/Cathode Ray Tube monitors which lead to creation of screen savers. The later Non-interlaced monitors didn't have such a problem as they were constantly being redrawn/refreshed. It's all because of the phosphorous on the inside of the tube. TVs used the same type tube but the images were constantly being changed. The LCD and LED monitors of to day don't use those tubes so don't have the problem.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Berton View Post
    The LCD and LED monitors of to day don't use those tubes so don't have the problem.
    Berton Sure as heck they do! I have worked in an industrial setting and have seen something that had the look of burn in, call it what you want.

David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wavy View Post
    Berton Sure as heck they do! I have worked in an industrial setting and have seen something that had the look of burn in, call it what you want.

Transient image persistence. As its name suggests, it's (usually) reversible.

Setting the monitor to turn off when not in use is a good idea.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyl View Post
    Transient image persistence. As its name suggests, it's (usually) reversible.

Setting the monitor to turn off when not in use is a good idea.
    How would one do that?
    Turning off in the setting would just confuse the operators and hide info they should be watching.

David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast