New Lounger
    Thanks

Hard drives listed as removable

New guy on the block, but seeking help with XP SP3!
    1- When I click on 'Safely Remove Hardware' all the partitions on my 3 hard drives (128GB SSD and two 1TB Barracudas) plus my DVD drive, show as 'removable drives', exactly like my USB stick:
    Safe-Remove.jpg
    2- In addition, they are all listed in the 'Send to' menu (which takes 5 seconds to display the list):
    Send-To.jpg
    3- clicking on the 'Start' button, the entire top section remains blank for 5 seconds (presumably checking round all the partitions for the apps listed there?)
    Any ideas on what is wrong and how to correct it would be gratefully received!

Thanks
    This is a quote from another thread;In BIOS - Is your drive controller enabled as AHCI? This allows SATA drives to be hot swap - removable. You and I can both search SevenForums for a reg hack to remove the two drives from the Safely Remove Hardware (SRH) icon list. I think there is a registry setting.

I'm a bit tired tonight, but I think you can change the BIOS setting to IDE without ill effect (not true for changing IDE to AHCI, but I think AHCI to IDE is OK).
    Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them. -Albert Einsten

3. The Following User Says Thank You to chowur For This Useful Post:

Bill M-R (2012-06-27)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for that, Chowur, it was a great help in jogging braincell(s) and suggesting a line of attack!
    1) My BIOS is 2007 version and does not appear to feature AHCI (I updated it a year ago to handle 1TB HD's).
    2) I suspect the trouble started around the time that I (unsuccessfully) tried to install the drivers for an external USB3 1TB WD Passport. Eventually I found a mention in a forum that the drivers wouldn't work with certain AMD CPU's (thanks WD!!) but I suspect it's the fall-out from these drivers that are causing my problem.
    3) I'm currently rebuilding my number 1 PC after an Intel mobo failure (6 months use!) and have gone back to AMD & Asus, and am battling with Win 7 Pro 64-bit - but the 1TB external works fine in this environment.
    Thanks again!