Star Lounger
    Thanks

Longevity Of DVD Blanks

I assume this has been asked/answered (or wondered about) many times, but I couldn't find an answer.

Like many, I have experienced numerous problems with various DVD blanks over the years, but it seems like the problems -I- notice are right after burning.

However, I used to hear all manner of stories of CD-Rs degrading over time. I'm wondering if there is any way to determine the -longevity- of DVD blanks?

I ask because I've been using some -really- inexpensive DVD blanks from HP that -seem- to have burned just fine. But I wonder if they will -still- be OK, say 4-5 years from now... or maybe they'll age no worse than the high priced Verbatims.

Any way to tell from the formulation/brand/specs/etc?

I also wonder about various external factors: light, dust, temp., humidity. I hear all kinds of 'suggestions' but I wonder if there is hard research on any of that.

TIA

---JC

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    This thread may be of help.

cheers, Paul

Thanks

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I've had cheap CD-Rs that have lasted many years, and I've had expensive so-called "archive" quality disks that I didn't get 5 years out of. Over time I've found that a given brand of burner "likes" some blank disk brands more than others. It's always a bit of trial and error. More important I've learned that single CD/DVDs are not good backups. When using optical media always make 2 copies and store a 3rd copy on hard disk.
    Chuck

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    This has been exactly my experience. Some of the $50 DVDs have been rubbish and some $15 ones have done well. What seems to matter is... as you say... some combination of burner and I dunno -what-. But price alone ain't it. So far though, I haven't seen any really definitive info on -degradation- over time due to sun, time, etc. Everything I see is anecdotal.

That said: Thanks to all for all the info. Lots to study!

---JC

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Brown View Post
    I've had cheap CD-Rs that have lasted many years, and I've had expensive so-called "archive" quality disks that I didn't get 5 years out of. Over time I've found that a given brand of burner "likes" some blank disk brands more than others. It's always a bit of trial and error. More important I've learned that single CD/DVDs are not good backups. When using optical media always make 2 copies and store a 3rd copy on hard disk.