Star Lounger
    Thanks

Longevity Of DVD Blanks

I assume this has been asked/answered (or wondered about) many times, but I couldn't find an answer.

Like many, I have experienced numerous problems with various DVD blanks over the years, but it seems like the problems -I- notice are right after burning.

However, I used to hear all manner of stories of CD-Rs degrading over time. I'm wondering if there is any way to determine the -longevity- of DVD blanks?

I ask because I've been using some -really- inexpensive DVD blanks from HP that -seem- to have burned just fine. But I wonder if they will -still- be OK, say 4-5 years from now... or maybe they'll age no worse than the high priced Verbatims.

Any way to tell from the formulation/brand/specs/etc?

I also wonder about various external factors: light, dust, temp., humidity. I hear all kinds of 'suggestions' but I wonder if there is hard research on any of that.

TIA

---JC

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    This thread may be of help.

cheers, Paul

Thanks

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I've had cheap CD-Rs that have lasted many years, and I've had expensive so-called "archive" quality disks that I didn't get 5 years out of. Over time I've found that a given brand of burner "likes" some blank disk brands more than others. It's always a bit of trial and error. More important I've learned that single CD/DVDs are not good backups. When using optical media always make 2 copies and store a 3rd copy on hard disk.
    Chuck

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    This has been exactly my experience. Some of the $50 DVDs have been rubbish and some $15 ones have done well. What seems to matter is... as you say... some combination of burner and I dunno -what-. But price alone ain't it. So far though, I haven't seen any really definitive info on -degradation- over time due to sun, time, etc. Everything I see is anecdotal.

That said: Thanks to all for all the info. Lots to study!

---JC

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Brown View Post
    I've had cheap CD-Rs that have lasted many years, and I've had expensive so-called "archive" quality disks that I didn't get 5 years out of. Over time I've found that a given brand of burner "likes" some blank disk brands more than others. It's always a bit of trial and error. More important I've learned that single CD/DVDs are not good backups. When using optical media always make 2 copies and store a 3rd copy on hard disk.