3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Update notifications I don't want

Every time I boot up get a notification stating that updates are available for me, in spite of unticking the individual boxes and right-clicking on hide - these are updates to Office 2007 and the like, which I do not have. In XP I could tick a box to stop the unwanted updates being offered again, but cannot find anything in Windows 7

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Mike,

You should be able to hide the notifications by right-clicking on the item to get the choices menu. If you're getting update notifications for software that you haven't installed, however, it suggests that these programs HAVE been installed at some time, perhaps as trialware when you first bought your computer (I'm surmising you didn't "roll your own"). You need to use an uninstaller program or registry cleaner (judiciously) to remove these leftovers from the registry.

Zig
    Last edited by Just Plain Fred; 2012-06-12 at 05:51.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Updates

Using the right-click menu has no effect. I bought my computer recently without an operating system, bought a copy of Win 7 and installed that, so there is no Office 2007, but there is Office 2003 which I installed from my own disk.

Thanks
    There may be some readers or other apps that use parts of this Office app in your installation. It's somewhat hard to say. Have you installed any viewers for various file types?
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Some of these updates are offered so that you can open and read Office 2007 docs in Office 2003. This can be useful when some one sends you a document created in Office 2007. Otherwise you would limit you usefulness of Office 2003. I would recommend installing these updates (after researching what these updates are) then you won't be bothered again by notifications.
    Clive

All typing errors are my own work and subject to patents pending. Except errors by the spell checker. And that has its own patients.