4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Angry Airlines to charge extra for window or aisle seat

I haven't heard of anything like this happening in Europe yet, but apparently it's becoming commonplace in the US to charge around $29 for a window or aisle seat on domestic flights and $59 on international flights.

So are we going to see rows of empty window and aisle seats on flights because passengers aren't prepared to pay extra for them? And what happens when a passenger complains that he can't sleep because somebody with a window seat doesn't have the window shutter closed? I've had that happen to me on an Emirates flight from Dubai to Bangkok last year. At the time, I wanted to get some shots of the sunrise as we flew over India, but was forced to close the shutter instead. If I'd have paid for window seat I'd have demanded a refund.

I like a window seat on daytime flights, but on night flights I don't really care that much since there's nothing much to see anyway.

More on the story here: Airlines now charge extra for window or aisle seat

Thanks
    They are also want to charge extra to be guaranteed adjoining seats if you are traveling together...
    So, if you want to sit next to your child you'll pay extra..

I used to fly a lot but now I wouldn't get on a plane if they paid me to fly...
    "If You Are Reading This In English, Thank A VET"

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Banyarola View Post
    I used to fly a lot but now I wouldn't get on a plane if they paid me to fly...
    I am singing the same song!!

Thanks
    There was this guy whose wife flew to some middle east country and after she got there he called Homeland Security and reported her having terrorist ties and when she tried to come home she was on the no-fly list..

I guess it has it's good points also...

Thanks
    Careful there.... this isn't just a group of guys hanging out. There are WIVES here too.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    This is one of the few charges I actually would pay for. Far too many times I got stuck in the middle seat between very large people who took more than their share of seating space. Not comfortable at all, especially when you're stuck on the tarmac for an hour and a half waiting for a storm to pass.
    Chuck

Thanks
    I would rather take a mule train then fly anymore..
    The whole flying thing is really nuts today...

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Xircal View Post
    At the time, I wanted to get some shots of the sunrise as we flew over India, but was forced to close the shutter instead.
    Come now, What is your maximum shutter speed?

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dogberry View Post
    Come now, What is your maximum shutter speed?
    Shutter speed? You mean how quickly can I wrench the blind down...LOL

I was talking about the blind you slide down to shut out the light coming through the aircraft's window.

Thanks
    Ha, what's in a 'word' anyway!

Here in the U.S, window 'shutters' open like doors.

What you call 'shutters', here we call 'shades'.

Reminds me of an old song...

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You paid a premium for that seat; surely you aren’t taking orders from lesser beings in the cheap seats.

What is a window for if not to provide a view? If they want the shutter (or shade when flying over the US, or blind when flying over Canada) closed then they must pay you for accommodating them, and pay you well enough to offset the premium you paid for the superior seat. And speaking of seats (and the corrupt practices the airlines are unwittingly encouraging), wait until the party in the cheap seat wants to get past your confederate, oops, ‘friend’ in the aisle seat, and has to pay a toll. Mind you, there is the risk of getting a black eye or two.

You could regularly purchase expensive seats and become what in certain places is called a tout, and on this continent a scalper. Just resell the tickets at an even bigger markup.
    You did get the seat so you could take photos, and you can readily agree to lower the contraption a certain distance, since it is to your advantage to have both shadow for working purposes and a view area for composing and shooting. I suggest you check the window carefully to see if certain areas are optically superior. And with all that motion, be sure to use a high shutter speed.