New Lounger
    Thanks

Database proogram for tennis students

I have used the Winworks Database program for many years for my tennis students. I have a new Windows 7 computer and the Winworks program will not work on it. I am looking for a simple, cheap (less than $50) program to relplace the Winworks program. I would appreciate
    any suggestions.

Thanks,
    Jerry King

Thanks
    Hi Jerry,

Some versions of Windows 7 include a virtualized copy of Windows XP that you can run. If your version of Windows 7 includes this option, this would allow you to keep running your existing Winworks program, giving you more time to work on a replacement. I know that Windows 7 Ultimate offers this capability. Another alternative would be to install virtualization software, such as Microsoft's free Virtual PC. However, that option requires that you have separate licenses for any software you install, including the operating system. But, if you happen to have an older (legal) copy of Windows 98, Windows ME, Windows 2000, or Windows XP lying around, then all you need to do is download and install Virtual PC, install your operating system, install Winworks, and copy your database file to this new virtual machine.

Notes:
    • There are some other free alternative virtual machine software packages available as well. Don't think that you must be limited to Microsoft Virtual PC. I use VMWare Workstation myself, but this is not free virtualization software. It is very good, but it comes with a cost (~$200 USD).
    • You will want a somewhat modern PC to run a virtual machine effectively. This includes lots of RAM memory. I recommend a minimum of 2 GB for a 32-bit machine, but 3 GB is even better. If you have a 64-bit machine, with a 64-bit version of Windows 7, then you will want 8 GB RAM minimum.
    Last edited by tgw7078; 2012-06-12 at 00:01.
    Tom Wickerath
    Microsoft Access MVP
    4/1/2006 - 3/31/2012

3. The Following User Says Thank You to tgw7078 For This Useful Post:

JDK10S (2012-06-23)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Jerry,

Another alternative would be Libre Office a complete office suite that is absolutely free.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

5. The Following User Says Thank You to RetiredGeek For This Useful Post:

JDK10S (2012-06-23)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Lounger. I acquired the Libre Office software, and I'm learning to use the database.