Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Star Lounger
    Thanks

Restore can't see the backup

I had a nasty crash that left me unable to boot. I didn't have a boot CD, so I had to do a System Restore, wiping out my program and data files.

I had made a full image backup a month ago and put the files on a separate hard drive, E:. I went there and clicked on Restore, but got a message saying that the program couldn't find the backup file.

How do I let Restore know where the image is?

Thanks.

Thanks
    Without a boot CD, you might be out of luck. Every Image app I am aware of has to be booted to in order to restore. Do you know someone with the same Windows version that would let you use their PC to create a boot disk for the Imaging app to allow you to boot and restore from your Image?
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by krsmav View Post
    I had made a full image backup a month ago and put the files on a separate hard drive, E:. I went there and clicked on Restore, but got a message saying that the program couldn't find the backup file.
    krsmav,
    Hello... I'm guessing that you used "Windows Backup" ... I have only tried that program a few times ...Going from memory you can browse for the backup where the Image was stored ...

1. Also if the Image on "E" is still there and Windows can't "See" it for some reason ...Just copy it back (whole folder) to your C: Drive ...at that point Windows should be able to find it and recover... Regards Fred

PS: Does "E" show up using explorer? If not... have a look see in Disk Management and make sure it's there with correct drive letter
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    Whether driving a car, playing Golf or doing computer backups, there are RULES that you must follow.

I've been doing this stuff for 30+ years and I've learned to follow the rules when setting up a backup scheme.

One, the backup program as well as the Backup Image Files, MUST not be on the C: drive, or even the drive that includes C:
    The Backup program should be either on a Bootable CD or Flash Drive.

Two, the backup must incorporate everything on the C: drive, including boot sector, master directory, etc., so that the backup can be restored to a blank hard drive and it will boot the PC.

Three, most every backup program knows where it puts its backup files.....Don't move them, or the backup program will not be able to find them.

Four, after a backup, the backup image file(s) must be Checked, Verified, or Confirmed. Nothing is worse than a backup image file, full of errors.

Five, the backup files must not be setting next the the computer they come from, in case of fire, theft, hurricane, or other acts of God.
    They should be in a location that is fireproof and that can not be blown away or be carried away by thieves.

Follow these five simple rules and you should never have a problem with your backups.

Many problems have been reported with people trying to backup Windows 7, with Windows 7.

Some of the best HD backup programs in the world are FREE, if you just look for them.

Good Luck,
    The Doctor
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to DrWho For This Useful Post:

Dick-Y (2012-06-21)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If you're using Windows 7, the backup will be located in a folder called "WindowsDiskImage".

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have the full prior image, in its WindowsDiskImage folder, on my L: drive (a separate internal hard disk). Windows Explorer sees both the drive and the image. The problem is that Restore doesn't see it. The Restore option to use an image other than the most recent one looks only at the network, and not at a hard disk.

I've already tried MiniTool Power Data Recovery (it's like Recuva), but it produced only 100 gibberish files. Recuva did the same.

Does Backup perhaps have a hidden file that points to images it has made, and if so is there a way to edit it? Or is there another program that can handle a restoration? I can reinstall the programs, but my whole life is in my data files.

If there's nothing I can do, can anyone recommend a data recovery service?

Thanks
    Did you attempt to acquire a Boot Disk on someone else's PC. You really need the boot dosk to restore. You insert this disk then tell the app what Image to restore to from where and which partition to restore. Without the boot disk you might be out of luck.

You possibly could use a utility such as 7Zip to open the Image file archive and grab your data from the Image in this manner.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by krsmav View Post
    I have the full prior image, in its WindowsDiskImage folder, on my L: drive (a separate internal hard disk). Windows Explorer sees both the drive and the image. The problem is that Restore doesn't see it. The Restore option to use an image other than the most recent one looks only at the network, and not at a hard disk.
    krsmav,
    Did you try to "Browse" to find "L"....If not is there any way to "loose" the "Network"? Or try to copy the Image to your C: Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Like Ted Myers mentioned above, a recovery works by inserting the DVD-R, or CD-R which should have been created at the time as the disk image. The external media is then used to format the HD where Windows is installed and then use the disk image which is located on your L: drive in this particular case to restore the OS.

If you've lost the disc, or didn't create one, follow the instructions in option #2 here instead: Restore your computer from a system image backup

Thanks
    And by the way, this Boot Disk only needs to be created one time, not with each Image. I have used the same boot disk for my Acronis Images for the last year or so. I might make another just so I'll have a back up boot disk.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    DrWho said above:
    "Some of the best HD backup programs in the world are FREE, if you just look for them."

I've looked, but it's difficult to determine what free programs actually work, and whether they can verify/restore the created image. What are your recommendations about WHICH free programs are best?

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    rfarmer,

Hello... A really good free program is Macrium Reflect Free I Have use this program many times to both Image and Recover. Make sure that you Burn the WinPE recovery disk and test that your PC can boot from a CD (BIOS Setting) and that it will load and "See" the Image's that you create. Regards Fred

PS: If you have more questions about Imaging ..Post a new thread in "Security & Backups"
    PlainFred

Thanks
    That's one program worth mentioning.

Acronis True Image is also available FREE from Seagate and other Drive makers.

Ghost used to be available for FREE on Motherboard Driver Disks. That's where I got mine.

Try Googling for "FREE hard drive backup software".

Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

Thanks
    The Seagate Acronis version is limited and is intended as a tool to allow you to move your existing disk installation to a new Seagate drive. I'm not sure, but I think it won't work unless you have a Seagate drive installed.

Jerry

New Lounger
    Thanks

Possible restore fix

Is the second drive a dynamic or GPT drive? I had a similar issue with a Windows2008 backup. The restore function would not see it until I copied the image files to a simple volume.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast