2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

save change to normal.dot (Word 2000 SR-1)

I'm trying to add a filename footer to my normal.dot and change the footer margin, since here at home I always add that in. I found it, edited it, but it was read only. I saved it with another name, renamed normal.dot and tried to rename the new one to normal.dot but it wouldn't let me. Then I opened the new one, copied the footer, opened normal.dot, pasted the footer, fixed the margin, then cancelled it. Then I got the message that changes had been made to the global template, did I want to save, hooray, I said yes, it said no, it was being used.

I would think someone would have asked this already, but I was unable to locate it via a search.

So how do I change it?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: save change to normal.dot (Word 2000 SR-1)

Well, never mind, it seems to be done. I have prompt to save normal.dot set, so if it refused to save the changes because normal.dot was being used by another application (well, it wasn't), so I had to cancel the save, then when did it save it? The file I was editing is in C:WINDOWSApplication DataMicrosoftTemplatesNormal.dot. It still shows a save date of Sept 21 in Explorer. Is it using the file I called normal2.dot?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Wendy,

That problem used to come up a lot with Word 97, if you had multiple instances of Word running, but it shouldn't occur with Word 2000.

One possible cause for this would be a temp file associated with Normal.dot, which should have gotten destroyed when you ended a previous Word session, but which didn't (have you had Word crash recently?)

Without any apps running, locate the folder where your Normal.dot is stored, and see if there are any temp files there, and if so, delete them.

Also, have a look in the Task Manager and see if there are any instances of Word.exe running, that you are not aware of. End Task if there are.

Gary

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, Gary. Well, yes and no. There WAS an old temp file. But after I deleted it, I got the same results - normal.dot was read-only, it asked if I wanted to save changes to the global template but then said it was in use. And although yesterday I saw the changes when I started a new file, today they weren't there.

In the task manager, I see Microsoft Word and Winword. Is that two versions of Word? Winword is still there when I have Word and Outlook closed. I'm such a chicken - are you saying I should close that?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

When I look in Task Manager, I see Winword.exe - can't recall ever having seen Microsoft Word in there. In any case that Winword is probably a hidden instance of Word which is still running - I'd go ahead and end process on that one.

Gary

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, deleting the winword.exe did it. I was able to save normal.dot and a new document was just what I wanted. Thanks, Gary.