New Lounger
    Thanks

Removal of compaq_user

People,

My system is XP SP3. It has migrated over multiple hardware platforms, the first was a compaq system. The registered users (per usesr in control panel) are myself and admin. But the location of my files in Documents and Settings is the directory compaq_user. I would like to rename / replace it with a directory named David but the system will not let me do this. It claims it is a windows system directory and can not be modified.

Any suggestions?

David

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dave.vinograd View Post
    People,

It claims it is a windows system directory and can not be modified.

Any suggestions?
    David,
    Hello, and Welcome!....Have you tried "Taking Ownership" ,and then renaming ? Regards Fred

PS: See this link.... You may have to do this from "Safe Mode "... Or this one may be of Help
    Last edited by Just Plain Fred; 2012-06-12 at 18:52.
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Fred,

I am already an owner but in a funny form eg: David Vinograd(Sheardelight/Compaq_Owner). Does this suggest a different approach?

Dave

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Dave ,

Hello...I'm not sure that we are talking about the same thing "I am already an owner but in a funny form" ..If you "Right Click" on the folder and click "Properties" > "Security Tab" >"Advanced" > Owner.. Then making sure that it's yourself..( not "Trusted Installer" or "SYSTEM" ) OK'ing out and then giving yourself "Full Control" (Check Boxes) and then hitting "Apply" . If you did this you could rename whatever folder you want. Regards Fred
    Last edited by Just Plain Fred; 2012-06-13 at 09:01.
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)