iNET Interactive
    Thanks

Patch Tuesday features all the usual suspects

PATCH WATCH

Patch Tuesday features all the usual suspects

By Susan Bradley

The scramble is on again to patch Microsoft's Remote Desktop Protocol; there are no known attacks via RDP yet, but they're expected soon.
    Other Microsoft products fixed this week are the usual players: Internet Explorer, .NET, and the Windows kernel.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/patch-watch/patch-tuesday-features-all-the-usual-suspects/ (opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.
    Last edited by Kathleen Atkins; 2012-06-13 at 19:08.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Susan,
    It would make it easier to locate the various patches within Windows Update if you listed them in numerical order.
    Cheers
    Will

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Susan,

I can't believe I am the only one having a problem but you may want to reconsider the recommendation on Patch KB2707511.

I have an old legacy dos program which I have been running without problems since DOS. After the 2707511 update, it has stopped working on three different machines. When running it, I now get an error that the program caused a problem with NTVDM.exe. Remocing the update solves the error.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    KB2707511 does indeed foul the NT Virtual Machine While command.com will pull up the DOS window any attempt to run a DOS program (in this instance Mitsubishi MEDOC PLC development tool) will cause the NTVDM error message and DOS crashes. After examining the event logs the following consistent error was noted:

Faulting Application: ntvdm.exe version 5.1.2600.5512
    Faulting Module: kernel32.dll version 5.1.2600.5781 Fault Address: 0x00012afb

Uninstalling KB2707511 corrected the problem as New Lounger has noted. I wish I had found the post earlier.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Medoc and NTDVM.exe

Microsoft have acknowledged the problem with NTDVM crashing due to KB2707511 and have issued a hotfix KB2732488, only to be installed if the problem occurred. Looks like it could potentially happen with any DOS exe program.

The details and link to the download may be found here:-
    support.microsoft.com/kb/2732488

I have installed it and Medoc works fine now.