2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Avast5 Automatic update turned off...

Hi, again -

I have reverted to Avast5. If have turned off Automatic Update for "Ask when an update is available." However, the Avast icon in Taskbar has an exclamation and 'not fully protected.' Once upon a time I knew how to eliminate (right word?) that message but can't remember how I did it. I unselected all the update options (which I know in the past I did not have to do), but the didn't eliminate the point and its message.

So, how do I get rid of it?

Thank you.

I have turned off Automatic Update
    Last edited by mipendance; 2012-06-13 at 19:01. Reason: Clean up spelling to make question clearer

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Found how to eliminate the exclamation point in the icon:
    Left click the tray icon --> 'Settings' (top right) --> 'Status Bar' tab (left side)--> UNCheck 'Definitions Auto Updates'

Thanks
    Why are you not using Avast's latest version ?
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Had trouble installing Avast9 in Win XP Pro. "Setup fatal error. Error reading product data from c:\program files\alwil software\avast5\setup\part0setup_als-557.vpx" I think I disabled a service in WinPatrol but, frankly, I tried so many things that I can't remember all my meddling, all the error messages.

Thanks
    Your only hope might be a clean reinstall, then keep a note of all your changes.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I also have Win XP Pro and recently tested avast! 7, the latest free version. It worked fine, so I tend to agree with Roderunner: if you can't even get old antivirus software to work on your computer, you may be looking at a reinstall. But, before you do that, I have a couple suggestions.

Since your computer is probably rather old, it's likely you've had at least a few different brands of antivirus software installed and uninstalled. These products can sometimes leave bits and pieces of the software behind after being uninstalled and that can create trouble for future installs. Uninstall all antivirus software that currently shows up on your Add or Remove Progams list (Start > Control Panel), but use the embedded uninstall function that came with the antivirus software (Start > All Programs > Software). If there is no embedded uninstall, then just do it through the Add or Remove Programs list. Then download and run the ESET Uninstaller Tool (http://kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?page...ewlocale=en_US). This software does a good job of removing those little bits and pieces that get left behind by the embedded uninstallers of most brands of antivirus software. Insert the Windows operating system DVD that came with your computer. If anything comes up on the screen, just close it. Then, run the System File Checker to check for any corrupted operating system files. Start > Accessories > Command Prompt. Type in the Command Prompt sfc /scannow (yes, that's a space between sfc and /) and press the Enter key on your keyboard. After the System File Checker is done, try installing the free avast! 7 (http://www.avast.com/en-us/free-antivirus-download).

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I suggest the following procedure to ensure a clean install (which is what I always do).

1. Download the latest version which is 7.0.1426 from here: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=95170.0
    2. Download aswclear.exe and save to your desktop: http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility
    3. Reboot the PC in Safe Mode and run aswclear.exe to remove all older versions from your machine. After you run it the first time, it will ask you to restart. Ignore that and run it again to remove any other versions.
    4. Reboot and then run the installer you downloaded in step #1

The uninstaller called aswclear.exe removes versions completely which includes all the registry keys. This ensures a clean installation when running the latest version.

To avoid getting Google Chrome when installing the latest version, make sure you remove the checkmarks from both options which I've ringed in red in the following screenshot.

Remove_chrome.png

N.B. When you reboot in Safe Mode, aswclear.exe may not be visible since only basic VGA drivers are loaded. If that's the case, right click a blank part of the screen and choose "Sort by name".

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi, Guys -

I was successful with Avast5. Don't know advantage of installing Avast9 since I had trouble first-time around. Yes, all other antivirus programs are gone from PC.

Thanks.