5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Question Windows Updates - Service not running?

I am trying to run a "Windows Update" on a small notebook that I have and it does not want to cooperate. It tells me that "Windows Update cannot currently check for updates, because the service is not running. You may need to restart your computer." I restarted my computer, but to no avail. So my question is - now what? How do I get the "update" running again?

Ron M

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Go to services and check to see that WU is active, if not start it.
    If it is set to active, stop it and the start it again.

enter "services.msc" in the run box.

Or try this...

Ashok JP
    Sometimes I have noticed, the windows update service might be running but still users get this error. At such instances, the below solutions have worked.

1. Goto start > type services.msc
    2. Scroll down to find Windows Update service
    3. make sure Windows Update service is stopped, else right click and stop it
    4. Go to C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\ and delete all files in it
    5. Come back to services.msc and start Windows Updateservice
    Do let me know if this works out for you
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2012-06-13 at 22:21.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Clint. I followed your suggestion and ran the "services.msc". I found the Windows Update and it was not active, so I started it. I then went back to the Start and tried to run the Windows Update, but I got the same message as noted in my original post. Should I restart Windows after " activating" the Windows Update?

As far as the second suggestion goes, I looked in the c:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution and there seems to be a lot of files there - is the second suggestion that I delete every one of them - there are 6 folders, each of which has one or more subfolders. This just seems like a lot to be deleting - I would not want to delete something that I shouldn't.

Ron M

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Not a good idea to delete things from that folder. And yes it is normal to restart windows after changing anything in services.
    Clive

All typing errors are my own work and subject to patents pending. Except errors by the spell checker. And that has its own patients.

Thanks
    Hi Ron,
    I had this problem about a month ago on one of my Win7 desktop machines. I have Windows Update on all my machines set to "Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them". After searching many forums and fruitlessly following advice on services and dependencies, I finally came across one post (I don't remember where) that suggested making sure Windows Defender was properly installed, ACTIVE, and updated and then rebooting.

Steps followed:
    1. (This step may not be necessary, but it's the way I have mine set)
    In Control Panel, click on Windows Update... click on "Change settings"... make sure you put a check mark in boxes for "Give me recommended updates the same way I receive important updates" and "Give me updates for Microsoft products and check for new optional Microsoft software when I update Windows"

2. In Control Panel, Click on Windows Defender. (mine was turned off)
    3. Click on "click here to turn it on"
    4. When Windows Defender opens, click on "Check for updates now" and let it do it's thing. If it runs and reports you are currently up to date and "No unwanted or harmful software detected" then...
    5. Reboot and try Windows Update again. It worked for me.

If Windows Defender is not installed, won't run or appears to be corrupt; you can try re-installing it here: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl...ils.aspx?id=17 then follow steps 2-5 again.

Good Luck.
    Last edited by lostwages; 2012-06-14 at 10:06.
    Happy Computing,

Rich

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Rich, thanks for the advice. Only one problem at my end. I cannot find "Windows Defender" on the Control Panel. Maybe it is not installed, maybe it is hidden somewhere in the depths of the Control Panel. Could you let me know? Thanks.

Ron M

Thanks
    Howdy again Ron,
    I don't much like the category view in Windoze 7 Control Panel.
    To switch it to a slide-out alphabetical list, do this:

RIGHT-click on a blank area of the desktop and then Left-click on Personalize.
    In the lower-left under See also, click on Taskbar and Start Menu.
    Click on the Start Menu Tab, and click Customize...
    Near the top of the list, find Control Panel and click to put a dot next to "Display as a Menu" and click OK, Apply, OK.

Now, when you hover your mouse pointer for a second over Control Panel in the Start Menu,
    the whole list should slide out to the right. No more "noodling" around trying to find a specific Control Panel item...
    they are ALL there and arranged alpabetically.

If Windows Defender is still not there, you can install it from this Microsoft link:
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl...ils.aspx?id=17

Please let me know if it works.
    Last edited by lostwages; 2012-06-14 at 16:50.
    Happy Computing,

Rich

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Rich that seems to have done the trick - thank you very much - I have copied this little secret to my OneNote notes for future reference. I just love this forum. It never ceases to amaze me how many things I have learned that are, to all intents and purposes, relatively undocumented - I never knew about the Windows Defender - not in any books that I have on Win 7. It is only through asking simple questions on how to get something running or operational that I learn about these things. Boy, what Microsoft doesn't tell you - probably fill a book on its own.

Ron M

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thumbs up Thanks

Thanks this worked for me

New Lounger
    Thanks

Here is an Accurate Solution by MICROSOFT

Method - 1

Go to :

windows update > View Update History > Troubleshoot problems with installing updates.

Windows cannot currently check for updates because the service is not started.jpg

Method - 2

Download microsoft fix it from the given link:

http://support.microsoft.com/mats/windows_update/

Thats all.