New Lounger
    Thanks

Error: Not enough space on the disk to complete this operation

Dear all

I have 136Gb of unallocated space that cannot be utilized.

When i right click on the unallocated space in disk manager all options are greyed out except "New Simple Volume" When i attempt to create the new volume the error above happens, see attached image

I have tried everything from Partition Magic to Mini Tool Partition Wizard to either create a new volume or expand the space.

This problem arose after I created a dual boot with XP and Windows 7. After was happy with Win7 I decided to remove XP but i have been left with an active XP partition and the unallocated space

Any ideas to remove the XP partition and reuse the unallocated space?

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    It appears that the first partition on your hard drive contains your BCD. Have you tried expanding your Data partition into the free space?

This would be a snap with BootIt, but I am completely unfamiliar with other partitioning tools. I tried BootIt many, many years ago, liked it, and have had no occaision to need or try anything else.

Hopefully someone who is familiar with some of the good, free partitioning tools will drop in and get you fixed up.
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows

New Lounger
    Thanks
    bbearen

I have tried that however the extend Volume option is greyed out

Thanks I'll take a look at your BootIT suggestion

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Maybe with partition magic boot disk (you need to create this from the tools menu and then boot from it so windows is not running) you can move the free space partition to the end of the disk where it may allow you to delete it and change it to unallocated.
    Clive

All typing errors are my own work and subject to patents pending. Except errors by the spell checker. And that has its own patients.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Bottom line: you need a decent partitioning tool, and Windows Diskpart ain't that. Like bbearren, I found BootIt (11 years ago, in my case) and have found nothing better since. But it's not free, and this relatively simple but convoluted task is, I think, still well within the capabilities of some of the freebie utilities like Easus Partition Master, Paragon Partition Manager, or GParted.

To use those utilities, though, you should also have a clear concept of the steps you need to accomplish. Your goal is to end up with three partitions: 7+190+101 GB. What you have is: 7+53+[136+101].

Note the brackets around the 136+101. That's actually one 238GB partition (an "Extended partition") that is then further subdivided into two pieces. In your Disk Mgmt screenshot, note the dark green border surrounding those two blocks. That denotes the single, Extended partition.

That's the crux of Diskpart's problem--normally it could expand the back end of the Data partition to include the unallocated ("free") space, but here it can't because it sees the Extended partition in the way.

What needs to be done is to move the front end of the Extended partition toward the right, all the way up to the boundary of the Win7 partition. Once that is done, the unallocated space will no longer be inside the Extended partition, it will be outside of it and adjacent to the Data partition. Then the second step would be to expand the Data partition to take up that space.

(Diskpart's main limitation is it cannot move the beginning of any partition. It can move the back end--to the left to shrink a partition, or to the right if there is unallocated space to expand into--but it cannot move the front end. In this case, the front end of the Extended partition has to move, and that's outside Diskpart's realm.)

If you are using Easus or Paragon, I believe they allow you to use your mouse and grab the left edge of the Extended partition and move it to the right. That's the easiest way to shrink the Extended partition without touching the Win7 partition.

BootIt is easier but not as visual. It doesn't give you a graphic schematic you can manipulate, but if you tell it to expand the Data partition it's smart enough to know the front edge of the Extended partition has to move, and it will do it. It may appear to be one step in BootIt, but it's still really two steps internally.

Thanks
    You say you tried Partition Wizard. How did you try it? Did you grab the right hand edge of the Data partition and drag it to the right? You may have tried this, if so I do not have other questions:

PartitionWizard.jpg

Note: I am simulating this. I do not actually have unallocated space. Don't look at the numbers below.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    C: and the unpartitioned space share the extended partition, you may be able to extend C: into the free space from Disk Management.

Personally, I would be thinking hard on a redesign of the partitioning scheme, the current layout feels like an accident waiting to happen.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Agree with satrow about a redesign of hard drive. I would be inclined to first make an image of Windows 7 partition and save it to an external source. Delete all partitions and make the three new partitions you desire. Restore the image to the newly designed hard drive.

4 Star Lounger
    Hillsborough (San Francisco Bay area), California, USA
    Thanks
    Notice, rmonroe36 said "image", not "clone."

Zig

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You CANNOT modify any partition that Windows considers vital WHILST running under Windows.
    There should be no problem when running under a Bootable CD or Bootable Flash.
    Try
    http://www.partitionwizard.com/parti...otable-cd.html
    Just download the CD ISO and burn a CD via
    http://www.imgburn.com/
    Last edited by alan.b; 2012-06-21 at 04:12. Reason: Typo

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Arrow Don't forget the data

Quote Originally Posted by rmonroe36 View Post
    Agree with satrow about a redesign of hard drive. I would be inclined to first make an image of Windows 7 partition and save it to an external source. Delete all partitions and make the three new partitions you desire. Restore the image to the newly designed hard drive.
    I think that I'd make a backup of the Data partition, too, while I were at it!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Dear all

Thanks for the ideas I will give them ago. I've been a bit slack in replying to everyone due to the laptop in question being a work laptop and not having time to try your suggestions. I'll let everyone know how i go soon

Thanks

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I've the similar problem. Couldn't figure out anything yet. Did u solved it yet @ stefmil

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Man_sakil

I took alan.b's advice and used partition wizard, created a bootable disk and was able to rearrange the partitions

Thanks everyone for your input