View Poll Results: What tablet OS/brand will you purchase

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • iPad. Apple all the way baby!

1 11.11%
  • Android. The choices, the freedom!

1 11.11%
  • Windows 8. Can't wait, I want what Apple can't deliver!

5 55.56%
  • Playbook. Look at the prices, they are so good!

0 0%
  • Don't know, I haven't made up my mind.

2 22.22%
Multiple Choice Poll.
    Thanks

If you are planning on a new tablet, what OS?

Some of us are looking to replace tablets, and some are just starting out. If you are thinking about getting a new tablet, what OS/brand will it be?
    [b]Catharine Richardson (WebGenii)
    WebGenii Home Page
    Moderator: Spreadsheets, Other MS Apps, Presentation Apps, Visual Basic for Apps, Windows Mobile

Thanks
    I love my iPad, but even after a couple of years, there are "Appleisms" that drive me crazy, like the lack of a file manager. And I'd love more fully compatible and capable office apps.
    [b]Catharine Richardson (WebGenii)
    WebGenii Home Page
    Moderator: Spreadsheets, Other MS Apps, Presentation Apps, Visual Basic for Apps, Windows Mobile

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    I'm putting off any decisions until after Windows 8 is released. I want to see what that brings with both x86 & ARM.

Joe

Thanks
    I already have an iPad which fits the bill nicely.
    But I'm also looking forward to seeing what a Windows 8 touch tablet will be like.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Been planning on a 3G+wifi iPad for a long time. Only reason I don't have one now is cost. But, now that I know there will be a "Surface" tablet, I am interested to see what the Surface tablets bring to the table and not opposed to having one someday.

Mulling this over, thinking out loud ..... Hmmmm..... Still, with no 3G or 4G, the Surface would be useless to me because my only reason for buying a tablet would be so I can work outside of the office without bringing a laptop along. I am definitely intrigued by the Surface "keyboard" though. A very cool and very useful feature, most likely.

More thinking out loud ..... This would be the second time for me that a device with features I need is not available at the time that I need to buy one, and it would be way too costly to buy one and then have to buy the other one within a year or two or even three. I don't have that kind of money to throw around. Tablets (and phones) aren't potato chips! <g> Wellll I could use a bluetooth keyboard with the iPad and the web version of Office-for-iOS with Chrome-for-iOS (which is in use on my iPhone and works great). (saw something on this in PC World).

OK conclusion: Most likely an iPad is to be my first tablet; a Surface *could* be my second but probably not for at least 3 years, and *only* after it gets 3G/4G and IF the price isn't any higher than iPad's price at the time when I am looking for a new tablet. If it were cheaper than iPad I'd be much more inclined to get it.

Thanks
    I would definitely be interested in the Surface Pro. 3G or 4G would be nice but not a necessity with WiFi so readily available. Plus my Android Smart Phone will tether with Win 8 Pro through PdaNet3.5 very easily, and since Surface does have USB capabilities, I can do all my surfing/emailing through my unlimited data plan and my Sprint Smartphone.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Medico View Post
    I would definitely be interested in the Surface Pro. 3G or 4G would be nice but not a necessity with WiFi so readily available. Plus my Android Smart Phone will tether with Win 8 Pro through PdaNet3.5 very easily, and since Surface does have USB capabilities, I can do all my surfing/emailing through my unlimited data plan and my Sprint Smartphone.
    For me, working where wifi may not be available, it would be essential. I wonder if anyone has heard when 3G may be available and through which carriers - all of them? ATT makes you pay extra if you are going to tether, I believe, and my data plan is very limited (300 MB a month and that is all I need). I am trying to keep my phone costs to a minimum so recently cut back on the number of "anytime minutes" available for talking because I have lots of "rollover" minutes available.
    Last edited by kelliann1; 2012-09-03 at 17:38. Reason: typo

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Not sure how it works in the US, but here to get 3G you need to buy a separate SIM and a data plan. It would be probably easier for me to increase the data for my Nokia Lumia 800 and I can share the internet access through wifi, so the 3g / 4g wouldn't be too interesting. WiFi will be enough for me, but need to check costs.