New Lounger
    Thanks

Can't connect to network printer (Win 7) from an XP computer

We have a small office network. Most computers are running Windows 7. One of those has a printer connected (shared). Others running Windows 7 can use that shared printer. But we have one computer running Windows XP and it sees the printer but wants a different driver installed. We downloaded an XP driver for that printer, but it still is looking for a driver. Any suggestions?

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Savage View Post
    We have a small office network. Most computers are running Windows 7. One of those has a printer connected (shared). Others running Windows 7 can use that shared printer. But we have one computer running Windows XP and it sees the printer but wants a different driver installed. We downloaded an XP driver for that printer, but it still is looking for a driver. Any suggestions?
    Try connecting the printer directly to the XP machine temporarily, installing it with the driver you downloaded, then putting it back on the Win7 machine and running the network install again. When you do that, you should be asked if you want to use the driver already installed. Say Yes and you're in business.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    If a user opens a session on the office server from home via Remote Desktop, the printer appears in Devices and Printers. It is possible to select the printer to print with and it doesn't give an error message if you try to print with it. The "printed" documents do not stay in the printing queue as if they were printed correctly. However, in the office, the printer doesn't print anything.

I just herited from this problem but apparently (from users experience), it used to work. This solution here may be helpful: http://www.techyv.com/questions/offi...shared-printer

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by royabriant View Post
    If a user opens a session on the office server from home via Remote Desktop, the printer appears in Devices and Printers. It is possible to select the printer to print with and it doesn't give an error message if you try to print with it. The "printed" documents do not stay in the printing queue as if they were printed correctly. However, in the office, the printer doesn't print anything.

I just herited from this problem but apparently (from users experience), it used to work. This solution here may be helpful: http://www.techyv.com/questions/offi...shared-printer
    I don't see a solution at that link, just a similar problem with no one answering.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I don't see a solution at that link, just a similar problem with no one answering. Sorry, but I am seeing a solution submitted by Plofino Abu there which was excepted by the user.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by royabriant View Post
    I don't see a solution at that link, just a similar problem with no one answering. Sorry, but I am seeing a solution submitted by Plofino Abu there which was excepted by the user.
    I see that posting and that it was accepted by the user. But what I don't see is anything to do with the kind of printing problem OUR poster has.