Thanks

Word 2000 - Deliberately Crippled?

Secunia tells me that Office 2000 is 'end of life' software. Has MS sent me an 'update' that intentionally causes some documents to cause the program to close without opening the document? If I have 'preview' on, when I select the document the program just disappears. If I use 'details' I get an opportunity to let Redmond know that the program failed.

I have Open Office installed for evaluation. Perhaps it is time to make the move?

When I open the document in OO, I am warned that "This document contains macros." and that my default settings do not allow their execution.... Is what I experience with Word 2000 Redmond's way of dealing with macros? Is there a simple way to use OO to find the macros in question? I don't recall putting any in the document, but it has at least 1 table and a bunch of images from an order I placed. Perhaps the images have hypertext links back to the website where they were first presented to me and these constitute the macros in question?

Am I the only 'stick-in-the-mud' who is experiencing this frustrating software failure?

Thanks,

baumgrenze
    Baumgrenze
    Hier sind wir tief eingewurzelt.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by baumgrenze View Post
    Secunia tells me that Office 2000 is 'end of life' software. Has MS sent me an 'update' that intentionally causes some documents to cause the program to close without opening the document?
    No. If they did you could sue them as you probably purchased a perpetual license. Office 2000 has been 'end of life' for three years, but that just means no more updates.

Bruce

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    The OO macro warning is an OO thing - it has nothing to do with MS Office, though your macro security settings in Office can cause it to generate similar warnings if you try to open a document that has a macro module (empty or otherwise). No Office 2000 updates have been issued for quite a while now, and certainly nothing to reduce its functionality - which is still superior to OO in some respects.

As for the errant Word behaviour, try repairing Word (Help|Detect & Repair). It is also possible that some other software that's recently been installed on your system is interfering with Word. See also:
    http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...hp/32641/page2
    http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/...artingWord.htm
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Thanks
    Paul,

Thank you for the "repairing Word (Help|Detect & Repair)" tip.

It was a relief to be able to reach up on the shelf and find CD's dated 05/01. The process was quick. It appears it was also 'painless.' I did a quick test and my basic "new document" still has the same settings as before.

I opened the offending document without a hitch, so something was clearly awry with Word.

Thanks for being a MVP!

baumgrenze
    Baumgrenze
    Hier sind wir tief eingewurzelt.