Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JC Zorkoff View Post
    I agree that resetting the mouse does not work. I have a desktop system with no other wireless devices than the mouse, so I can't turn off anything.

My last mouse software upgrade was March 9 and this problem appeared over a month later.
    Try running a clean boot in order to determine whether a third party program is the culprit.

Instructions on how to proceed in this Microsoft article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Thanks
    Last Friday, I uninstalled the app "CutePDF" and the Ask.com toolbar and stuff it forced on me during install (about 1-2 weeks ago). I have not had the problem for the past 2 days. It will be interesting to see if the problem comes back next week when Firefox is displaying some web pages that do auto-updates.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JC Zorkoff View Post
    Last Friday, I uninstalled the app "CutePDF" and the Ask.com toolbar and stuff it forced on me during install (about 1-2 weeks ago). I have not had the problem for the past 2 days. It will be interesting to see if the problem comes back next week when Firefox is displaying some web pages that do auto-updates.
    You always get the opportunity to opt out of bundled software such as the Ask toolbar. It's merely a case of removing the checkmarks from the bundled software installation.

CutePDF is no exception and as shown in the screenshot, you need to uncheck all the boxes before proceeding with the installation.

cutepdf_ask_toolbar.png

You should be able to find it in the Firefox Add-ons manager (hit CTRL+SHIFT+A to open it) in the Extensions menu. Click the "Remove" button to get rid of it.

Thanks
    Thank you for the info, but you missed the point - as I said "stuff it forced on me". I was aware that CutePDF would try to offer the Ask.com toolbar, so I carefully "unchecked" all of the boxes shown in your image. BUT, the toolbar was installed anyway!!

When I next ran my browsers, each said that Ask.com wanted to enable the toolbar. I said NO - to each of them. The Add-on manager of each browser showed that the toolbar was not enabled.

I uninstalled CutePDF because I wanted to be sure that it was not doing something else behind my back to cause the lost focus problem.

Today, I opened Firefox and the Wall Street Journal - Market Watch page. Immediately after doing a refresh of the page, Firefox lost focus. I don't know if this was web page specific of just a problem with Firefox 13.0.1 - but that was the only app I had open at the time.

Still investigating.....

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Maybe it arrived via a different installation.

In any event, you can use this tool to remove all traces of it: http://www.addictivetips.com/windows...-from-your-pc/

Thanks
    Actually, Revo Uninstaller did a great job of uninstalling it.

Thanks
    OK, More investigating has pointed to Firefox. See my post "Firefox - Possible source of windows losing focus" posted under the Third Party Browsers forum category.

Thanks to all for their suggestions.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I know this is a four month old thread, but I registered just so I could post my information that may help another user.

For me, although I've had this 2011 Lenovo X220 for almost 18 months, these symptoms just began two days ago. It was extremely annoying as I would be typing an e-mail and lose characters in the middle of a line.

Assuming I did something or Microsoft did something overnight, I just simply executed a restore to a point 24 hours earlier. That didn't fix it. Then began my time-consuming online research for a solution. Surely, I thought, I'm not the first guy to experience this. I was right, others experienced this anomaly. But none of the forums had solid/specific solutions. Just try this, try that...

I tried turning off ALL start-up programs, but windows still lost focus.

When I read Xircal's comment about third party programs, I realized I did load an audio program recently. I opened the Program and Features control panel and looked at "Installed On" date only to discover a program called Relevant Knowledge. That one I don't recall installing, but it had a very recent install date (but before the restore point I used). I suspect I was not careful when clicking YES to install dialog questions with the audio app.

After reading about Relevant Knowledge, I used the Windows uninstall option, rebooted the machine, and the problem has not returned.

I am so relieved, and hope this helps someone else. I'd like to add this to some of the other forums, but I do not have the time. Those that troll the forums, may wish to pass this on.

Norm in Texas
    A Church Administrator

Thanks
    Norm, thanks for the info. Glad you solved your problem. Hopefully someone else will be able to solve their problems as well.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Sorry to revive an old thread, but I started suffering the loss of focus yesterday and hope this may help someone.

I am running Win 7 32bit, Office 2007 and Thunderbird. I was losing focus every few seconds in Excel, Thunderbird and another program, IGV 2.3 (Intergrative Genomics Viewer).

Checking Task Manager I saw a program was grabbing huge amounts of memory about every 1-2 seconds then releasing it. The program was NMIndexStoreSrv.exe A Google check revealed this was part of Nero7 CD/DVD burner, my version of which apparently does not play well with Windows 7. Apparently Nero v9 and 10 are OK.

From msconfig > startup I saw two items, Nero Home and Nero AG NeroCheck. I unchecked these in Startup and rebooted.

No more loss of focus!

Hope this may help someone ...

Dennis W

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12