Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Win 8 mail coming?

Seen article ; http://www.online-tech-tips.com

Now Windows 8 is coming and Windows Mail is coming back! Actually, I should say the Mail Metro app is coming! Yes, itís going to be a full-screen Metro app in the new Windows 8 and from looking at the screenshots, it looks pretty awesome.

Have anyone seen this??

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Microsoft probably learned the lesson that depriving users of what's considered to be a normal part of an operating system i.e. an email client in Windows 7, forced users to seek alternatives to use in its place. Many users subsequently switched to using email clients like Mozilla Thuderbird.

I say 'learned' while in point of fact, that's a contradiction in terms since they now appear to be repeating the blunder by not including DVD support on Windows 8: No Windows 8 DVD playback will mean increased costs, and consumer confusion
    Last edited by Xircal; 2012-06-16 at 13:45. Reason: corrected spelling mistake

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Xircal View Post
    I say 'learned' while in point of fact, that's a contradiction in terms since they now appear to be repeating the blunder by not including DVD support on Windows 8: No Windows 8 DVD playback will mean increased costs, and consumer confusion
    It was a simple matter of Microsoft not wanting to pay $2 per copy of Windows 8 to license the MPEG-2 codec from the developers.

The free VLC Media Player for Windows doesn't have to pay this fee, since it is based in France, which does not recognise software patent licensing! See Ed Bott's article.

So reduced costs, but minor amounts of confusion.
    Last edited by BATcher; 2012-06-16 at 14:28.
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BATcher View Post
    It was a simple matter of Microsoft not wanting to pay $2 per copy of Windows 8 to license the MPEG-2 codec from the developers.
    Yes, that's typical of MS. Do everything cheap but which benefits itself and blame others for its shortcomings.

Thanks
    The Metro Mail app is not complete yet. It will only allow Hotmail, Gmail and MS Exchange at present. No POP mail accounts yet or other web based accounts. These should come by the final release.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    I'm just one humble sole that have used Outlook-Express w/XP (and really like it) for SOooooo many years. I think I just want hope

Thanks
    I do not use the Metro Mail app at this time. It works ok with my Hotmail account, But gives no options for my ISP POP account. This is my main mail so the Metro Mail will not work for me. Plus I do like WLM and all my accounts work in WLM on Win 8 RP.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    The very idea that "Windows Mail" would not (or can not) work in Windows 7 is totally incorrect.

Just replacing the MSOE.DLL file from a Vista install, makes it work just fine.
    I've done it dozens of times and it does Work!

However, even though Windows Mail is still present in Windows 8, that simple fix does not work.
    I really wish that if MS is not going to let us use Windows Mail, that they would just take it out
    of Win-8 and save the space and stop teasing us with it.
    That just shows what JERKS they really are.

Somewhere in the world, some NON-MS programmer is going to find a way to make it work, I do hope!

It would be great, because like one member has already said, "I like Outlook Express", and Windows Mail is like Outlook Express on Steroids.
    I find it equally easy to set up and easy to use.

MS is forcing people to go to something like "Thunderbird" for their email program.
    I've tried Thunderbird on Win-8 and it works just great!
    I absolutely cannot stand 'Windows Live Mail'. It really looks like crap!

Cheers Mates!
    The Doctor

PS: I just remembered, why I would hate the Metro Mail app.
    It first demands that you input your "Microsoft Account and password".
    Well, I don't have a Microsoft account and have NO intention of ever having one.
    So the Metro Mail app is totally useless to me and millions of people like me with NO MS Account.
    I want to keep my interaction with Microsoft to as minimum a level as possible.
    "Big Brother is Watching" !!!
    Last edited by DrWho; 2012-06-17 at 13:34.
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Xircal View Post
    Yes, that's typical of MS. Do everything cheap but which benefits itself and blame others for its shortcomings.
    The problem is that you are selling 250,000,000 PC copies per year plus who knows how many copies of Windows 8 RT (tablet). Your research shows that a significant number of these devices will not have an optical drive. The licensing requires a royalty payment for any device that may possibly have an optical device. So, are you willing to commit more than $500,000,000 USD per year to licensing that you don't have to spend.

Should this cost be born by Microsoft or by the optical device vendor?

Joe

Thanks
    And if MS passes on this minor cost increase to consumers, there will be an uproar. Half a billion USD is a lot, even for MS. I for one would not mind the small increase, and will undoubtedly purchase Win 8 Pro and the Media Center if I decide to go with Win 8 ultimately.

My belief is that if someone wishes to play DVD's on their PC, they must be willing to pay the price. Or install a free alternative, VLC being one such alternative.

Sorry that this discussion has gotten away from the original topic.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    BTW, the $500,000,000 was calculated using the figure that BATcher stated. The license and royalty statements can be examined at MPEG-LA MPEG-2.

Does anyone remember that XP & Vista did not come with DVD decoding software? You had to purchase it or it was supplied by an OEM with the PC or was supplied if you bought a DVD player. It was only with the Windows 7 (Home Premium, Ultimate, & Enterprise SKUs) that DVD decoding was included.

I see nothing wrong with people who want to play DVDs having to foot the bill.

Joe

Thanks
    You may see the same occurring with Win 8. OEM manufacturers may decide to do the same thing. Understand that everything comes with a price. I don't see the OEM manufacturers doing this for free. They pack their PC's with trial ware (or worse) and such, and usually get paid to do so. I can forsee this continuing if not getting worse. It's not just MS in this to make money. Everyone in the supply chain is trying to make money. That's how capitalism works. Everyone has to make money, otherwise someone will go out of business and break the chain.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Ken Kashmarek

Smile

Windows 8 Metro mail is simply Windows Live Mail from the Windows Live days. It is essentially Outlook Express, updated.

All of Windows Live applications have become Metro applications. Windows Live is dead. Long live Windows Live.

Thanks
    Ken, that may be, but WLM is still available for download, and most likely will be for a while. I use it quite effectively.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I hope you're wrong. I don't consider it OE updated, either. They messed up important features, and they made rubbish out of the left pane with the multiple inboxes and the outbox down at the bottom. And if you try to move the outbox up in Windows Live Mail 2009, it won't move. If you move it up in WLM 2011, it moves but as soon as you close the program, it goes right back to the bottom where it was before. Blah.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast