Thanks

Windows 7 XP mode Upgrade

I now have a dual boot system with W7 Home Premium 64 Bit on one drive and my old XP 32Bit on another drive.

I am thinking of upgrading to W7 Professional so I can have the XP mode ability in W7..

This is what it says on the Microsoft site:

Installing and using Windows XP Mode

To use Windows XP Mode, you need to download and install Windows XP Mode, which is a fully licensed version of Windows XP with Service Pack 3. You also need to download and install Windows Virtual PC, which is the program that runs virtual operating systems on your computer.
    When you install a program in Windows XP Mode, the program becomes available for use in both Windows XP Mode and Windows 7.

My questions are:

1--Is the licensed version of Windows XP Mode I download have anything to do with my already licensed version of XP on my other drive ?
    In other words, will I have TWO XP licenses...My own and the new one I download?

2--Do I have to purchase the XP Mode Version or is it included with my upgrade purchase price to Windows 7 Professional??

3--My scanner works in Windows 7 but some features, like the film scanner attachment only work under XP.
    Will I be able to install the XP scanner software in XP mode without it conflicting with the scanner operation when I use it in Windows 7???

4--How much hard drive space will be used installing XP mode ??

5--Will doing any of this drive me to the brink of insanity ???

Thanks Guys..
    "If You Are Reading This In English, Thank A VET"

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    why do you want to continue using outdated XP? Unless you have programs that will only run on XP (very few as most will run in compatibility mode) there is no need to waste disk space running 2 OS's.
    Clive

All typing errors are my own work and subject to patents pending. Except errors by the spell checker. And that has its own patients.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    1. You will have a whole new license for XP mode.

2. With 7 Pro, you can simply download XP mode and Windows Virtual PC and run XP Mode. Nothing else to pay.

3. Not sure if you will need to capture (not sure if this is the term) the USB port to be able to use the scanner from XP. If you do, that will mean that you can't use it on XP and 7 and the same time, but you can release the port even while running XP. While XP mode is not running, scanner will work in 7 without issues. I see no issues using the scanner both with XP and 7.

4. That depends on what you add to XP Mode. I think you should expect around 10 GB, at least. Right now my XP mode is around 27GB, but i do have a bit of stuff there.

5. Thinks work out of the box without issues. I have had no headaches running XP mode. Works pretty seamlessly.

Thanks
    Thanks ruirib, what you have said I suspected but wasn't sure..

As far as the scanner goes, I'm now using it in 7 without any software and it works fine..
    But, like I said, there are some features that only work in XP because of the software and the software wont install in 7..
    I can always plug the scanner into my laptop if I need those features..

Most of my XP stuff runs fine in 7 but there are a few programs that will only run well in XP so I probably wont be loading it up that much when I make the upgrade.

One other thing I forgot to ask...Can I run both w7 and xp at the same time?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    But, like I said, there are some features that only work in XP because of the software and the software wont install in 7..
    Have you tried setting the software INSTALL PROGRAM to XP Compatible mode under Win 7??

Zig

Thanks
    Zig, I don't think that's available in W7 Home Edition...

If it is I certainly don't know how to do it.

Thanks
    Zig, I know what you mean now...Yes, I have tried that....

No success...

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    XP mode runs under Virtual PC, so you need to be running 7 and XP mode. It's just a virtual machine running under 7. The more RAM you have, the faster your pc will run, with XP mode running. You can control the amount of memory assigned to XP mode, though, just as you do with any other virtual machines.