Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Star Lounger
    Thanks

migrate from win wp to win 7

My wife has a dell laptop running win xp pro 32bit. It is nearing end of life, so in anticipation I bought her a new Asus laptop running 7 pro 64 bit. I have been using it and it is great.

What is the best way to duplicate everything from the dell to the asus? I looked into Windows Easy Transfer, but that only moves files not programs.

What suggestions does anyone have to do it easy as possible.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Laplink's PC mover can do that, but it is not free. Also, it is not guaranteed that you won't have problems with licenses / validation of existing programs, if any of the programs need validation. 3 years ago I used it successfully, but had to repair install office to get it working properly. Everything else was moved without issues.

If you have the software you want, using Easy Transfer and installing the software manually also works .

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Easiest thing to do is to copy all the installation files to a USB thumb drive and then use that to copy them to the new machine.

You do realize of course that you cannot move the programs which are installed in Windows XP and have them work on Windows 7 don't you? You still have to install them in that respect.

Also, some programs may be unsuitable for Windows 7 and may not run properly if you install them.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Xircal View Post
    You do realize of course that you cannot move the programs which are installed in Windows XP and have them work on Windows 7 don't you? You still have to install them in that respect.
    I am sorry, you are wrong here. I used Laplink PC Mover when upgrading from XP to 7 and all the programs I chose to move worked without issues (surprisingly, only Office 2007 needed a repair install). Back then I even managed to migrate one app said incompatible with Windows 7 and apply the patch to make it compatible, after the move.
    Last edited by ruirib; 2012-06-16 at 13:16.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    I am sorry, you are wrong here. I used Laplink PC Mover when upgrading from XP to 7 and all the programs I chose to move worked without issues (surprisingly, only Office 2007 needed a repair install). Back then I even managed to migrate one app said incompatible with Windows 7 and apply the patch to make it compatible, after the move.
    I think you missed the point that the OP isn't upgrading. He has a Dell laptop with Windows XP installed on it and he bought a new machine for his wife which has Windows 7 installed.

This doesn't constitute an upgrade whereby one operating system is upgraded to another on the same machine. Simply moving programs from one machine to another isn't the same as installing them.

Administrator
    Thanks
    No, I am sorry, it's you who don't realize what is involved. I migrated from XP to 7, a non supported migration path and my programs were moved. PC Mover scans the pc and the registry, allows you to choose which programs to move and copies the files and all required registry and other changes. It does it quite effectively. If you simply had a look at the features of the different PC Mover versions, you would see that this can even be done from programs obtained from a disk image. My experience, from 2009, leads me to think the technology is effective and works well and the PC Mover product line has evolved in these 3 years. Actually there was a single version, when I used it, and now there is a multitude of versions, for different scenarios, which include obtaining your programs and settings from a disk image.

PC Mover is a rare kind of program. It is actually the only software I know to do this.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

jelson (2012-06-16),miztrniceguy (2012-06-17)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    No, I am sorry, it's you who don't realize what is involved. I migrated from XP to 7, a non supported migration path and my programs were moved. PC Mover scans the pc and the registry, allows you to choose which programs to move and copies the files and all required registry and other changes. It does it quite effectively. If you simply had a look at the features of the different PC Mover versions, you would see that this can even be done from programs obtained from a disk image. My experience, from 2009, leads me to think the technology is effective and works well and the PC Mover product line has evolved in these 3 years. Actually there was a single version, when I used it, and now there is a multitude of versions, for different scenarios, which include obtaining your programs and settings from a disk image.

PC Mover is a rare kind of program. It is actually the only software I know to do this.
    Well, it seems I owe you an apology. It does do what you said it does.

However, on the negative side, it appears to be very slow. According to a magazine called PC Pro, it took four hours to move just 30GB of data, primarily because the application compresses everything beforehand.

Also, it's not exactly cheap and is only valid for a single move. If you want to use it a second time, you'll have to buy another licence.

Full review here: Laplink PCMover

Administrator
    Thanks
    No apologies are required, this app is really not common at all.

I am not sure about being slow, I did it 3 years ago and I don't really remember it being slow. I remember it being effective, a bit to my surprise, to be honest. I do agree that the license being usable only once it's a ripoff, actually. They also increased prices, I remember this costing me $19. It does what it says it does, though.

Unless the original media is not available, or the effort to install all the programs is big (and it was for me), I would go for the full manual reinstall.

Thanks
    If I may jump in here, IMHO the installation is less trouble some with a new install of all apps. Then just the data has to be moved. I have tried to move as Rui suggests and had problems afterward. I ended up restoring my Win 7 and installing the apps, then just moving the data. Perhaps my luck in moving is uncommon (It seems if I don't have bad luck, I have no luck at all), but from that time until now I always Clean Install, then Install all apps. I have found this process takes me much less than a day. With the time frame to do the move, I do not think you save much time. To ensure a good installation I feel more comfortable with this method.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

miztrniceguy (2012-06-17)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I appreciate the feedback. Didn't know I was going to stir up a ruckus! lol. Some programs I have already installed on the new machine, such as Office, FF, Adobe Acrobat(not just reader) My wife has many other programs she used tho for things like formatting e-books etc, plus 8 billion fonts and macros etc. I already copied the 4000 songs, too.

I was just hoping there was going to be an easier way. I may put all the data onto an external HD and connect it to my router (Asus) and let the laptop access the files that way.

We shall see.

Thank for the input.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Myers View Post
    If I may jump in here, IMHO the installation is less trouble some with a new install of all apps. Then just the data has to be moved. I have tried to move as Rui suggests and had problems afterward. I ended up restoring my Win 7 and installing the apps, then just moving the data. Perhaps my luck in moving is uncommon (It seems if I don't have bad luck, I have no luck at all), but from that time until now I always Clean Install, then Install all apps. I have found this process takes me much less than a day. With the time frame to do the move, I do not think you save much time. To ensure a good installation I feel more comfortable with this method.
    I think there are good reasons for both approaches, Ted. First, it really depends on your setup. I think mine is a bit more complex than most and I usually need more than a day to get it all done. One thing to consider is cost. Spending a day and a half getting the machine configured can be more costly than the nominal cost of the software (PC mover in this case). With me, even repair installs take half a day.
    It may also be the case that you no longer have some original software media, which means you cannot install it anew. My experience, which goes down to a single situation, though, was quite successful.
    In a way, you can see this as a similar process to the one used by one of your favored tools - Revo. PC Mover uses registry info, in this case to replicate the keys to another pc. With some effort, non registry info can be documented for a lot of programs and most likely there are only a few places where non registry info would be kept for a program. As Laplink has been doing this for a few years, it's quite likely that they have configured their software to handle most common cases without issues.

Regards

Rui

Thanks
    miztrniceguy, no problems, no ruckus here, just options you can use. Choose what works best for you. Rui and I are great friends and do often help each other. Even the best of buddies do not agree on everything.

There is always the case that what works for one person will not always work for the next person. There are so many different S/W and H/W setups, that I would be surprised if any app will install trouble free on all different setups.

Generally I use downloads rather than disks for my various apps, and yes there are probably only 30 or 40 apps I always install. I like downloads because I can check for later versions prior to the installation, rather than looking for updates after the fact. I can also store various .exe files for the installations on a Flash, SD Card or Optical media (DVD or CD). I also take any keys for the various apps I have to register and place them in my online profile (notes) on my Last Pass password manager. This way I can access all these keys directly from my browser. I do not have to depend on a written or saved disk for these keys. (These keys can also be saved on the media I save the .exe on as a Notepad text file for example.) This was I do not have to rely on my HD exclusively as the HD can fail. Always have at least 2 places you back up this type info.
    Last edited by Medico; 2012-06-17 at 07:12.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Administrator
    Thanks
    Yes, absolutely no ruckus, no worries. Certainly no ruckus with Ted, one of the nicest people you can find around here and a good friend, and neither with Xircal, who is a more recent Lounge member, and was just trying to provide the best advice according to the knowledge he had about the situation.

Ted, the download options are more readily available now than they were 3 years ago. I do keep my own list of keys, but on my faithful OneNote, backed up on SkyDrive and accessible from both my computers and my Nokia Lumia Windows phone. I think I probably would be able to rebuild my setup just from downloaded stuff and in many cases, even the keys are accessible through the vendors websites.
    Last edited by ruirib; 2012-06-17 at 07:54.

Thanks
    I never thought about SkyDrive. I do have the SkyDrive desktop app as well. I will look at including my Notepad file there as well. Can never have too many BU's of this stuff.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Myers View Post
    I never thought about SkyDrive. I do have the SkyDrive desktop app as well. I will look at including my Notepad file there as well. Can never have too many BU's of this stuff.
    That should work. The good thing about OneNote, though, is that it has native integration with SkyDrive. You can just create a SkyDrive notebook without going through the SkyDrive app (which I don't like much, not the least because you are forced to have your files under the same root folder).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast