Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Exclamation Firefox 13.0.1 addresses several issues including crashes in Flash Player

Mozilla has updated Firefox to version 13.0.1 to address issues with Flash player's Protected Mode in Vista and Windows 7 as well as WLM not loading in Hotmail.

More details in the Release Notes: http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox.../releasenotes/

To update Firefox manually, click Help | About Firefox | Check For Updates.

Thanks
    There are still the recent Flash video non-playing issues and in browser crashes that this does not patch. For those problems, the advice seems to be "if uninstalling Real Player doesn't fix it, revert to Flash 11.2".

http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/...h-mozilla.html

http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/...-video-firefox

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by satrow View Post
    There are still the recent Flash video non-playing issues and in browser crashes that this does not patch. For those problems, the advice seems to be "if uninstalling Real Player doesn't fix it, revert to Flash 11.2".
    That advice was released before the latest Firefox update which took place today.

Thanks
    The issues still stand as stated. The Firefox Flash 'fix' is only for the Flash crashes on Firefox close problem.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Protected mode can be disabled in Firefox if other issues are encountered which negates the need to revert to an earlier version. Instructions on how to proceed are contained in the third paragraph here: How to disable Flash player protected mode for Firefox

Thanks
    After having spent most of my limited online time over the last four days investigating and helping others work around these problems, I already know and have done that.

The facts remain that a crash of Flash on exiting Firefox is a very minor problem compared to Flash crashing or videos failing to run within normal browser usage.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The main reason Flash crashes in Firefox is because users disable the plugin_container.exe process either via about:config, or by ending task on it in Task Manager.

However, the plugin_container process is designed to run like a sandbox to isolate plugins which crash so that they do that within the container (which is why its called plugin_container). If the user disables it, then of course the whole browser will crash.

This is a common failing among users who don't understand how an application is designed to work. What these users need to do is to avail themselves of the information concerning what a particular process is all about before willy-nilly disabling it: What is plugin_container.exe?

Thanks
    I actually jumped to the beta FF V14. It seems to be working fine at this time.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Xircal, you seem to have completely misinterpreted the recent crop of Flash problems that have only started with FX 13 and Flash 11.3. No good trying to generalise, these problems only occurred after updating to the latest Flash version and for users who have had no previous Flash problems and who have not (why would they when it worked fine before?) disabled or 'tweaked' any part of Flash within FX.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Adobe has released a troubleshooting FAQ: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4468493#4468493

Thanks
    I know, as I said earlier "There are still the recent Flash video non-playing issues and in browser crashes that this does not patch. For those problems, the advice seems to be "if uninstalling Real Player doesn't fix it, revert to Flash 11.2"."
    Finally, if these problems are blocking you from using Flash Player we recommend, as a last resort, you either revert back to Flash Player 11.2 or temporarily disable Protected Mode. We strongly recommend that Protected Mode is manually enabled once this issue is resolved.

To revert to a previous version of Flash Player, please see this FAQ: How do I revert to a previous version of Flash Player?

To disable Protected Mode, add the following line to your mms.cfg file located in:

Windows 32bit: C:\windows\system32\macromed\flash

Windows 64bit: C:\windows\syswow64\macromed\flash

ProtectedMode=0

If the mms.cfg file does not exist, create one using any standard text editor (e.g.. notepad)

Depending on your operating system, you might need to first save the mms.cfg file to a writable location (such as your documents or desktop folder) and then copy the file into the destination folder using Windows Explorer.

To re-enable Protected Mode, simply remove the line from the mms.cfg file.
    That advice was also issued before the Firefox update was issued.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, I don't propose to argue the toss. My post was merely intended to be informative, take it or leave it.

Thanks
    I know FF V14 is a beta browser, but it has been very stable when installed on Win 8 RP (Another beta) Flash installed w/o problems. AdBlock+ is working fine. Last Pass is working fine. If problems persist with FF V13, perhaps an attempt with the beta will be in order. As always, create an Up To Date Image for ease in going back if things go wrong.

NoScript was also working, but it was such a PITA to get set up and working with my favorite sites that I ultimately deleted it.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    New Flash non-IE version released, it 'fixes' some problems seen recently: http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

Current Runtime Release Version(s)
    Flash Player Desktop 11.3.300.262
    New Features
    N/A

Security Enhancements
    N/A

Fixed Issues
    Users experience crashes while viewing Flash content in Firefox on Windows
    (3211153)

Known Issues
    Audio distortion issues when streaming Flash content
    (3212648)
    Anyone who made the mms.cfg file edit to 'fix' the previous version will need to remove the added line.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Bugs can also be reported to Adobe.

If anyone decides to go that route, this is the info they require: http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/...ck-issues.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast