Thread: Modified Date

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Modified Date

This is probably too easy but I have a question. When I modify a file in any way, the description on that file shows the "Modified" date as the time and date that modification took place. However, if that file is modified within a folder, while the date on the file is changed, the date on the FOLDER remains the same. I have some folders that I work in every day, yet the "Modified" column shows the date they were created. (Example, my Quicken master file still shows the date I installed the program.) Is there a setting I can change to direct Windows to display the most recent Modified date for a FOLDER? If not, is there a way I can manually change the FOLDER modified date?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Modified Date

Easy - create a file in the folder (and then delete it again if you wish).

Creation and deletion of files constitute changes to the folder they're in; modification does not (because you still have the same things in the folder). That's the nature of folders.

Note that some programs create temporary files in the folder you're working in (e.g. MS Access ldb files) and thus will change the modification date of the folder when you edit one of their files.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

The folder dates do not change. The dates on my folders are all the the date that they were made, some go back to 1998.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

It would seem to be too easy. So I tried it. Nothing changes. I created new folders in several files. Opened and closed the files a few times. Tried other folders . All with the same result...nothing. The folder dates didn't change at all. Sorry. If there is a way you can make yours change, I would appreciate a step-by-step on how to do it. Simply opening a new folder doesn't work on my computer.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

OK - it works as I said on NT. I'll check on Windows 98 at home, but I'd be surprised if it was different.

You are looking at the modification dates not the creation dates, correct? Obviously the creation dates won't change. At least on NT, if you get the properties of a folder, you see the creation date.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, when I open a folder in the "Classic" style, using the List Details view, I have several columns. From the left they are Name/Size/Type/Modified. I think the Modified column should change if I modify the file. But it doesn't. If this was a FILE and not a FOLDER, you would have the exact same columns, yet every time you change the file, the date in the Modified column is updated. So if you change a file within a folder, the Modified date on the file is changed, but the date on the folder that it is in remains unchanged. That just doesn't seem right. The folder HAS been modified, because the files inside it changed. If the column said "Created" then it would make sense. It would never change.

ileacy

In W98 there is only a created date for folders, no modified date. You need to go to an NTFS file system to get what you want, and, that means upgrading to XP.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

You won't get it from Properties, but if you select the drive (or folder, for a sub-folder) that the folder is in and highlight the folder, it shows 'modified'. Out of curiosity, I tried renaming a folder, but the date still didn't change. I guess showing 'modified' instead of 'created' is just a glitch. Maybe a hangover from 95 (?), something that never made it from a beta version or a planned feature that never made the release deadline (though it's the same for Me).
    We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public.