Thanks

Cool Windows 8 is like a bad blind date

This article pretty well sums it up;http://betanews.com/2012/06/17/windo...tent+Feed+-+BN
    Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them. -Albert Einsten

Thanks
    I believe the article is very slanted. First, I agree that Metro is bad, albeit not complete. In fact I believe Metro is the most incomplete part of Win 8 RP. I do not agree whole heartedly because the Desktop UI works great. I believe as well as or better than Win 7. Many of the individuals I have been talking with spend most of their time on the Desktop as well.

I do not own a tablet PC, and at this time do not anticipate purchasing one. If I do however, I will get one with the power to be able to use the Desktop UI as well. I will not even think about one of those ARM Win RT devices. I consider them no more than toys for playing games and checking email. I do not consider they can be used to get real work done.

It seems there are 2 groups of people when it comes to Win 8 RP. Those that actually use it and like it, and those that absolutely hate it because they can't get past the Metro UI. There are hundreds of millions of conventional PC's using Windows. There is no way MS would forget about those users. That just does not make financial sense at all. Many of those conventional PC users will be the ones Upgrading to Win 8 RP. I do not believe there is any way MS will depend on tablets with Win 8 to survive this new OS. Yes they will be a part of the equation, but I believe the larger part will be conventional PC's. I am not counting phones with Windows because I believe that market share will be fairly small.

That's just my 2 cents. Take it for what it's worth, 2 cents.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I remember how much people hated the Start Menu and the new Windows 95 interface. Now people don't want to give it up.
    Chuck

Thanks
    The main issue as I see it is that if you like the desktop interface, there are no compelling reasons to use Windows 8 vs Windows 7. Sure its slightly faster and may boot a little faster but not compellingly so. Why bog down your OS with Metro baggage and it's annoying hot spots if you're not going to use it? You are better off getting windows 7 and investing in an SSD to improve your performance.

Jerry

Thanks
    Those that like the look and feel of Win 8 RP, even on the desktop, will consider the upgrade. I certainly do. There are other things than it is a little faster. Win 8 RP interacts with the other PC's on my home network better than my Win 7 Ultimate does. I was always very frustrated with my Win 7 networking. I tried both Homegroup and non-homegroup connections (not being a network guy, I think it's just called Workgroup) as outlined by Fred Langa Top Story, Oct 14, 2010. Neither works better than the other. Win 8 RP just does it better.

I also like the memory management much better. Everything seems to pop into view quicker, not just a little quicker, but much quicker. I do not have specific times for you, but things just pop into view. As an example, I like to play the MS Games Free Cell game. In Win 7 the cards are dealt and they take time to deal with all the cards being seen. When I win, it takes time to bring up the next screen. In Win 8, I never see the cards being dealt. They are just there. They pop onto the screen much quicker.

My quicken app opens so much quicker, I can't believe it. These are just 2 minor examples.

Starting in Win 8 RP MS is enforcing the PAE/NX/SSE2 Support Requirement Guide for Windows 8 This provides increased security.

There is a noticeable less CPU & RAM usage w/ 8. Just doesn't make things work as hard.

There are many more examples of differences between Win 7 and Win 8 RP, even while on the desktop. I believe it's much more than "slightly faster".

Don't get me wrong, the bottom line for me might be the pricing structure, as I do also like Win 7, but as of now I'm leaning more toward Win 8 Pro. We'll see.
    Last edited by Medico; 2012-06-19 at 20:20.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    I just haven't seen the same improvements as you have noticed. As I stated before, I do notice a slight speed increase but nothing major. Different hardware and/or software I guess. I don't even see the major decrease in boot times that others have seen. I still use Quicken on my main Windows 7 Desktop so i can't comment on any improvement there although I' very satisfied with its performance in Windows 7. I've never had any networking issues in Windows 7 and I can't get the printer attached to my Windows desktop to share with my Windows 8 laptop. I was able to share it in Windows 7.

As I said earlier, the major issue with me is even though you can kludge around it, you still have to carry around the baggage of Metro and its annoying desktop hotspots even if you never want to use them. I have yet to experience a Metro app I like and this close to a release date, you would think they would be more polished by now.

Just a different set of data points. Windows 8 seems to be a polarizing OS to me. Some people seem to love it and some hate it. Doesn't appear to be any middle ground. Didn't see anywhere near that much polarization with Windows 7. It will be very interesting to see how it all plays out.

Jerry