2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Docx bug? Word deletes characters after No-Width Optional Break (Word 2003)

I discovered something nasty today that I was able to re-create:

I was using Word 2003 and editing a .docx document created by someone else; I don't know which version of Word was used to create the .docx. I have whatever converters are needed to open the .docx document.

In the document I have the words Debit/credit card. After the slash, I inserted a No-Width Optional Break (found on the Special Characters tab of the Symbols menu). (For anyone unfamiliar with this symbol, it's a nifty way of allowing the line to break after the slash, something like a soft hyphen but without the hyphen.) When I save the document and reopen it, that text reads, Debit/card. Word deletes the word credit.

If I instead save the document to .doc format with the No-Width Optional Break as described, all of the original wording remains intact.

It appears that it would be safest when using Word 2003 to save .docx documents as a .doc before editing. Is that right?

Is this a bug? If so, can someone tell me how to report it to Microsoft so that someone will actually check it out?

Thanks!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I haven't heard of this error but there is a bug moving docx files from Word 2010 to 2007 and having spaces disappear randomly. This problem is resolved by installing SP2.

Your problem with Word 2003 may be related to this problem. Do you have the latest Service Pack for Office 2003 installed?
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I am running SP3, and all seems to be up to date. It was a great suggestion, though.