New Lounger
    Thanks

Hyperlinks not working on other computers

I created a document from Word 2003 with hyperlinks. They work fine on my computer, but when I put them on a flash drive and load the document on another computer the links don't work. I really appreciate any help you can give me!

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Try the suggestions here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/903163

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you so much for your reply. I have tried clearing the "update links on save" that didn't work.

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    If the links are meant to point to a location on the flash drive, see my post about how to implement relative paths in Word at:
    http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...l=1#post584769
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I was just using the flash drive to transfer the document to another computer. I was wondering if maybe the other computer's settings might be the problem??? Thanks for your reply!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    That depends on what's not working. Simply saying it's not working isn't very descriptive. And yes, differences on the other PC (eg different web browser, security settings, Av software, etc) could affect whether hyperlinks from a Word document will work at all.

See also:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/925757
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/291182
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

New Lounger
    Thanks
    When I copy the file to the other computer the links are still blue, but they don't take you anywhere. I'm not getting a warning message or anything. They just don't do anything. I click and nothing happens. I checked and the bookmarks are still there in the other computer. I tried re-doing the link on the other computer and it doesn't help. Both computers have Word 2003 and use Verizon broadband. I'm not sure about the Av software??? Is that the security program?? I think I was told it has AV????

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    AV stoftware = Anti-Virus software.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hyperlinks to places within the same document should work fine.

When making hyperlinks to external sources the pathing must be identical and reachable. If it's trying to look back to your computer it may fail, depending on how the PC is setup.
    If you're pointing to a common Internet web site there shouldn't be a problem, but connecting to an Intranet setting from outside your office won't work.

Highlight your hyperlink and check that the path to the file is correct.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Arrow It's a Word preference!

Quote Originally Posted by Whit45 View Post
    I created a document from Word 2003 with hyperlinks. They work fine on my computer, but when I put them on a flash drive and load the document on another computer the links don't work. I really appreciate any help you can give me!
    You've possibly configured Word on your system to direct-click to hyperlinks. The default is to have to press <CTRL> while clicking to activate the link (at least, that's the case in Word 2010). I'm guessing that's how the other system you're using is set up.

This option is found in Word 2010 in the "General" section of the "Advanced" tab of the Options dialog.