Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Lost Windows Installer on XP

I am hoping someone has an easy fix, not a re-format for enabling Windows Installer to work. I discovered this when I was upgrading Skype where the error message said - "Error 1601 - Windows Installer could not be accessed. I now have discovered that i cannot open any windows in Microsoft Office 2077 as I assume a patch is trying to load and with Windows Installer not working I am in strife. Thanks

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello. I can suggest slipping in the XP disk ( DVD ) and booting to it. Then select "Repair" when it is offered to you. This ought to fix your machine. JP.

Thanks
    Try re registering Windows installer as described here:
    http://totalpchealth.com/articles/fix-windows-xp-installer.php

J
    erry

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Jerry, hello.
    Your solution is very good, I had a look at it. Can you tell me if mine, above yours, would also be valid ? No need to be nice about this, I need to learn too. JP.

Thanks
    I'm assuming your solution was a Windows repair install. It really depends on what's wrong. Not sure if my prosed fix will solve the OPs problem either but its worth a shot. A repair install would fix a lot more issues than just Windows Update but it is much more time consuming. If my proposed fix doesn't work, that a Repair install would be woth a shot as well. If the problem is malware related, both solutions could fail.

Jerry

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Jerry, thanks for an honest reply. I do not think that this was an issue with WU but with only the Installer. The Repair install solves a lot of problems and IMHO, it would fix this one. Granted, as you wrote, it is more time consuming but an "overall" fixer. Let us wait and see what the original user achieves, Kanjo !

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You can download a fresh copy from Microsoft: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942288

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Jerry thanks for your suggestion but still the problem persists - whats plan be please?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Xircal View Post
    You can download a fresh copy from Microsoft: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942288
    Thanks but have tried that approach and still not fixed - any further ideas?

Thanks
    You could try the non destructive recovery install JP suggested. You need an install CD with the same service pack level you are at. see:
    http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
    for instructions.
    Jerry

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kanjo11 View Post
    the error message said - "Error 1601 - Windows Installer could not be accessed.
    Kanjo,

Hello....When i run into these kind of things ..It's usually that you cant access because ..you don't have the correct permission .You can try to "Take Ownership" of the folder and then the file (MSI) If you don't know how post back ...we ( loungers) can help Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by handcuff36 View Post
    Hello. I can suggest slipping in the XP disk ( DVD ) and booting to it. Then select "Repair" when it is offered to you. This ought to fix your machine. JP.

Sounds a good idea and I was initially going to do this when i read another comment by a Lounger that you need a CD with SP3 ; which I do not have; hence I an reluctant to try this method at this point as this can cause other problems.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Plain Fred View Post
    Kanjo,

Hello....When i run into these kind of things ..It's usually that you cant access because ..you don't have the correct permission .You can try to "Take Ownership" of the folder and then the file (MSI) If you don't know how post back ...we ( loungers) can help Regards Fred
    Thanks this sounds likre a reasonable fix, but you will have to :spell" out the steps for me. I am the sole owner of the computer so I have admin rights. Look forward to your instructions.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

XP sans SP.

Hello, Kanjo.
    You do not need a DVD of XP with any SP on it. It will install and after it is fin ished, you will be able to get the SP3 Update from MS WU. This will be all that you will be able to D/L until it is SP3 done. Brace yourself, there might be up to 70 Updates to D/L.

I have a DVD with SP2 on it, it install and then updates. Go for it. JP.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kanjo11 View Post
    Thanks this sounds likre a reasonable fix, but you will have to :spell" out the steps for me. I am the sole owner of the computer so I have admin rights. Look forward to your instructions.
    Kanjo,
    Hello... In XP ( not Pro) you have to do this from "Safe Mode" Even though you are the "Owner" ..there are many things that the OS won't let you do ...unless you change things a bit.

1. At Boot Time repeatedly hit F-8 to enter safe mode.

2. Once in go to the folder that contains the "MSI"

3. Right click on the folder and select "Properties" you should now see a tab "Security" Click on "Advanced">Owner...You will probably see the owner is SYSTEM or Trusted Installer.. Click on yourself, and "Change Permissions"... OK out

4. Back at the previous screen click on Yourself again and give Yourself "Full Control" ( check boxes) ...Apply and OK out .... Re-boot...

You should now "Own " that folder... You might have to do this with the MSI itself also.... Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast