Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Security Certificat ?

Hello.

I am out in the boonies and away from W-8 for the spell. My neigbourgh has an XP-SP3 box and asked me to increase his RAM. I got some suitable sticks, two 1 Gigers and placed them in. That got WPA activated and guess what, he did not have the keys. I then contacted MS on the phone and got re-activated. The machine then had an error : This site security certificate is not valid, etc., etc. on many sites.
    I restored it to a week before but this error was still present. I had noticed that there were updates to be done and had done them all. After this, there was still one update to be done and it was. The error about the missing certificate was gone.

I have not talked to the user yet this morning so I ignore if the machine is running fine. My question is : does anybody know if this was due to a bad WU and was it cured by the last WU ?

I had a very deep look into the IE-8 Security settings and could not find anything out of place. Could this be a WU faux-pas ?

( I just talked to him now, and last evening the error was not repeated ??? )

Thanks for any help or clarification on this. JP.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Maybe all you need to do is to update the root certificates: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl....aspx?id=28965

Thanks
    You can use Magic Jelly bean or SIW to retrieve OS product keys from the registry for future reference.
    You may want to talk him into getting a genuine XP disk or creating an image based backup with a "ready to go" rescue disk.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Security Certificat.

Hello, clint and Xircal.
    Thanks for your input in this question. The problem was solved and I asked the question here as a learning process. I could not use any of your suggested options as WPA got into the way and no keys were available. The machine got validated by a call to MS. I now have printed the keys.
    I was wondering if the Certificate bug was due to the call to MS or to a Restore that was done to a few days before. Or again to the installation of some Updates ??? It ennoys me when a problem is solved and I do not know why but at least the machine runs for my friend.
    Now, I haved to find out how to install this additional RAM. You two have a great day, thanks.