Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lounger
    Thanks

How to install Windows XP on new (Win7) computer — or can I?

My Windows XP laptop finally died on me and I need to replace it ASAP, as I use it to work from home. Is it possible to buy a new computer, which will come with Windows 7 and install Windows XP? I have some very old software that I need to use to remain compatible with my clients, so I need a Windows XP system for that. I have heard from others with this program that it is very unstable, if it will work at all, on Windows 7.

Can this be done? If so, can anyone direct me to a good resource for instructions how to do so? Will Windows XP be stable on a newer computer?

Thanks for your help.

Thanks
    I would suggest a dual boot scenario, keeping Win 7 and creating a second partition for Win XP. This will give you many more options. How To Geek reviews the correct method to accomplish this.

You can make the partition any size you wish. I might suggest 50 to 100 Gb as a good starting point.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    It all depends on the hardware the new computer uses. There may not be XP drivers for some of the newer hardware. Also, the OEM product ID that came with the laptop is probably not valid for a new system so you would have to purchase a new copy.

Another alternative would be to purchase Windows 7 Professional or Ultimate and then download XP Mode which will allow you to run XP in a virtual computer from within Windows 7.

Jerry

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks

Thank you---I appreciate both of your comments.

Ted, Thanks for the link. I'll be sure to look at it, as it sounds like it might be what I need.
    Jerry, I was concerned about whether it would be compatible or not, also. However, I have also spoken to two different people who tried to run the same software I want to run under "Windows mode" and didn't have much success.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Important question: Do you have an install disk for Windows XP? The procedure in Ted Myers' reply assumes you have one. Ideally it will be a full retail copy.

Thanks
    That is true. You do need an installation disk, or at least a valid key (not OEM) that you could use with a borrowed installation disk.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Lounger
    Thanks

Good Question

The answer is I thought I did, but now I'm not so sure. I have a sealed disk with Windows XP, but it's one tht accompanied my Dell laptop when I purchased it. I do have the number on a label on the outside of package, but I guess I'm not sure whether it is an OEM or Key number.

On reexamination, it's reinstallation disk, not an original software disk. I do have the 25 letter/numer combination used for installing it on my old laptop, but I'm not permitted to put it on another one, even if the original laptop is no longer running, am I? I miss the old days when you bought a computer and actually owned the software so you could install it on a different computer if it was no longer being used by the original one. I can understand not wanting someone to take the original software and install it on another computer, with both computers having software installed at the same time, but it seems like I should be able to install it on a different computer when the original stops working. It's like if I had two cars, same make/model, and I wanted to take the transmission out of one and put it in the other.

Anyway, in answer to your question, I guess I don't have Windows XP to put on a new computer. I noticed there are some for sale on eBay, but they're pretty expensive and how would I make sure it was legit?

Thanks
    That is most probably an OEM key and it stays with that PC. Unfortunately that cannot be moved to another PC. Perhaps a friend has a valid key they are not using. You could also check Amazon or eBay for XP. Be very careful and investigate eBay well. Some sellers are very legit, some are not. Unfortunately this will not be a free change, whether you dual boot or install XP as your only OS (I believe this would be a mistake) The dual boot option seems the best option. This will allow you to start transferring your business to a much newer OS with much longer support.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Lounger
    Thanks
    I've gone ahead and bought a refurbished Windows XP laptop to buy me some time. This will enable me to continue working as I have been for the immediate future. I intend to purchase a Windows 7 system, either with dual boot or XP mode, a bit later, because I really do want to keep up with the technology. As far as immediate needs, however, I'm considering taking early retirement (or partial retirement) in about a year, in which case compatibility with my clients' software will not be the issue it is now.
    Again, thanks to all who have helped me understand what I need to do.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Alternatively, you might want to consider installing XP in a virtual machine within Windows 7. This gives you the option of accessing both operating systems at the same time, rather than have to swap from one to the other with dual boot. It should also address the challenge of drivers. I have found the free VMware Player to be very simple to use and most reliable. But as noted, you will need an XP license for this. However, if you have a license (not OEM, I assume) from an old machined that has been retired, you can use that (as I have). I had no problem with activating.

Chris

Thanks
    The only consideration I had with any VM is that the PC should have more Ram as the Host and Client OS's both use Ram. When you set up the VM you specify how much of the Ram the Client should use. With 4 Gb Ram, I found I was taking a performance hit. The performance hit was not noticable when I upgraded to 8 Gb. Just something else to consider.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Myers View Post
    The only consideration I had with any VM is that the PC should have more Ram as the Host and Client OS's both use Ram. When you set up the VM you specify how much of the Ram the Client should use. With 4 Gb Ram, I found I was taking a performance hit. The performance hit was not noticable when I upgraded to 8 Gb. Just something else to consider.
    Ted, I accept that more memory is definitely better when it comes to VMs. But I'm managing with only 4GB on my Win7 notebook, and only 2GB on my XP desktop. But I only power up the VM when I need it, and rarely multi-task between the host and the guest, just transfer data between them. And I'm only running old legacy programs (primarily PageMaker) in the VM, and although PM likes a lot of memory, these old programs (and XP) are less of memory hogs that some of the newer applications.

So I guess it's 'horses for courses'. If you want to do 'power' work in the VM, you may need more memory. But you can still be productive without this.

Chris

Thanks
    Another option to consider along the same lines as VM's is XP Mode in Win 7. If you have Win 7 Pro or Ultimate then there is a Win XP Mode VM available. Again this would most likely require a valid XP license to install. It is at least worth investigating when you have the time.

Good luck with the refurbished PC for your short term solution. Perhaps for a longer term solution, one of the alternatives presented here will be the best solution. Having the refurbished PC gives you more time to research the best alternative.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks

Once again, I want to thank everyone for the ideas and information. It will be very helpful in making my decision and deciding how to move forward. I'm leaning toward the VM with Windows 7. I'm going to print out all of this information so that I can refer to it when making a decision and setting up my computers.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Similar to OP, my wife is using an older laptop(5 years) running xp pro. I bought her a new one with Win7 Pro, and she is dreading the move, due to program incompatibility, plus the transfer of files and programs(I previously posted about that). Haven't done anything yet, but now I am wondering about dual-boot and XP Mode and which might be better for her circumstance. In relation to dual-boot, what if I simply moved the HDD from the old and put it in the empty bay of the new? I have moved a complete HDD with XP between 2 desktops, just had to run the windows repair utility after I booted, and that machine runs fine.

Mods, if you think this should be a new thread, let me know.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast