5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

The pros and cons of regular hard-drive upkeep

LANGALIST PLUS

The pros and cons of regular hard-drive upkeep

By Fred Langa

Is frequent defragging and similar hard-drive maintenance worth any potential extra wear and tear on a drive's components?
    In that ongoing debate, a comparison of the costs and benefits suggests it is.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/langalist-plus/the-pros-and-cons-of-regular-hard-drive-upkeep/ (paid content, opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    This article answers (I think) something I've wondered about for a while, namely, whether wiping files (overwriting them multiple times) causes significant wear on the hard drive mechanism. So the answer seems to be, Not really. Who can I sue if you're wrong?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidToronto View Post
    This article answers (I think) something I've wondered about for a while, namely, whether wiping files (overwriting them multiple times) causes significant wear on the hard drive mechanism. So the answer seems to be, Not really. Who can I sue if you're wrong?
    Relax. A failure directly related to defragmenting has yet to be demonstrated for any modern hard drive. Certainly never in my experience, and I defragment my drives every few days, dating back even to my old Windows 98 SE desktop computer with a 3GB internal hard drive (ca. 1998 manufacture). The drive only in the past few years got some bad sectors.
    -- Bob Primak --

Thanks
    In praise of the free Win7 bootable USB tool

Fred, you should have read my post at Woody Leonhard's AskWoody web site, and my similar post at InfoWorld TechWatch!

When you use the Windows 8 Release Preview Upgrade Installer, you download only 1.7 GB from Microsoft. The Upgrade Advisor then starts to do a Windows installation, but you have a choice not to install right then and there on that computer or device. Choose to Install Later or Install on a Different Computer or Partition, and you are presented with two options to save th installer. You can create the same DVD ISO image as you would have downloaded directly from Microsoft, or you can create on a bootable USB stick the complete Win 8 RP installer needed to install the new OS on a device which lacks its own optical drive.

The Upgrade Advisor and its installer creation options work on Windows 7 and Windows 8.

You could have saved yourself considerable time and effort if you had found my comments posts.

The Win7 Tool is very nice to know about. It looks like it could have lots of more general applications which could prove very useful. Thanks much for the information.
    Last edited by bobprimak; 2012-07-01 at 04:47.
    -- Bob Primak --

Lounger
    Thanks
    Third-party app conflicts with System Restore

Fred's having a hard time with Windows System Restore -- he swung at and missed this one a couple of months ago, and he's missed it again. the question was about System Restore, but his answer talks about Windows Backup and Restore -- two totally different animals. the question doesn't tell us what version of Windows is being used, but i'm guessing it's Windows 7 -- in which case the answer is that Windows 7 changed the behavior of System Restore. in earlier versions, Windows did indeed create a restore point every 24 hours. but in Windows 7, a scheduled restore point is only created if no other restore points have been created in the last seven days. for more info, see:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...=vs.85%29.aspx