New Lounger
    Thanks

Screen goes off and on around every 10/15 seconds!

I'm running an XP desktop around 6/7 years old, with a desktop greatly cluttered with icons. 'Something' happened i.e. it crashed! I went through System Restore, and eventually everything seemed to be back on the screen - except that the screen went off to black, then came back with all those icons, at a rate of around 10/15 seconds. This continued until the machine went to sleep, when it displayed the usual XP motif which moved around the screen, again as normal. I'm wondering whether this might be a hardware problem rather than software. I must admit that I don't know where to start looking for the cause, and of course the solution. Any ideas would be gratefully received.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Try updating your video card drivers.

If you have an AMD video card, install this autodetect app which will determine which driver you need to download: http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownloa...to_detect.aspx

If it's an Nvidia video card, go to http://www.nvidia.com/content/global/global.php

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by alanp View Post
    I'm running an XP desktop around 6/7 years old, with a desktop greatly cluttered with icons. 'Something' happened i.e. it crashed! Any ideas would be gratefully received.
    alanp,
    Hello...a good place to start would be....

1. Check your power supply... CPUID HW Monitor Free

2. Do a disk check Hard DiskSentinel Free Trial (This program is so good it's worth twice the price)

3. Could be something up with your monitor ...could you swap it out ?.... even a TV if you have the HDMI or VGA output

Regards Fred
    Last edited by Just Plain Fred; 2012-06-21 at 15:22.
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)