New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows Search Not functioning

Running XP Pro SP 3, The Windows Search function is not operating. The message on the icon in the task bar says "Waiting to receive indexing status...". When I open Windows Search from the Start menu, a yellow bar says "Windows Search isn't running, to start it, click the Start menu, point All Programs, and then click Windows Search. That doesn't work. This occured after I had my PC reimaged by IT. They have tried reinstalling Windows Search 2 times, but no luck. Their next course of action is to reimage my PC again. I'm not too excited about that since that will be the 3rd time in less than a year. Any guidance for self-help or tips I can pass on to IT would be greatly appreciated!

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I suggest the following steps.

1. Click Start, then "Run" (or if you haven't got the Run command on the Start menu, hit Windows logo key + R instead)
    2. Type: services.msc and click OK.
    3. In the list of Services, double click "Indexing Service". It should read "Automatic". If it says anything else, change it to "Automatic" and then click Apply/OK and then close the menu.
    4. Launch Windows Explorer, right click C: and go to "Properties".
    5. In the General tab, there should be a checkmark in the option at the bottom called "Allow Indexing Service to index this disc for fast searching". If there isn't, add one, then Apply/OK.
    6. Finally, reboot so that the necessary changes are made to the Registry.
    Last edited by Xircal; 2012-06-21 at 15:11. Reason: corrected spelling mistake

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Xircal, Thanks for your help. However, I followed the steps above, but all the settings were as they should be - no changes to save. On the Indexing Service, it said that indexing was started (and the start button was grayed out). However, when I have the Windows Search application open, I'm still getting the yellow bar that Windows Search isn't running....

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    dascooper,

Hello...Check in Administrative tools>Services... for your settings ...See Screen Shots Regards Fred

PS: If these are OK you may try to run from an "elevated command prompt".....sfc /scannow ( system file checker) It might prompt you to put in your XP disk if the i386 folder is not present on your PC

PPS: If these fail.... until this is figured out try this free program UltraFileSearch this is a great program that doesn't need "Indexing" to find anything
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Just Plain Fred; 2012-06-21 at 16:50.
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You could maybe try updating to the latest version: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl...ils.aspx?id=23