New Lounger
    Thanks

Weird happenings in Excel 2000

Running Windows XP SP3 and all updates and Office 2000 I have recently encountered with this weird happening in Excel.

I can be working in Excel quite happily, then suddenly the ability copy/paste formulas vanishes. In fact the ability to copy anything vanishes.
    I was working on a small spreadsheet, and wanted to propagate a formula down a column but when I highlighted the cell containing the formula and did a Ctl+C, nothing happened. As in the cell didn't suddenly become surrounded by wavy dotted lines. If I tried the same thing by right clicking on the cell, the Copy function was greyed out.

It has happened to me twice in fairly quick succession and I have fixed it by doing a Restore System Settings in Acronis TI, but if anyone knows why this happened and if it can be prevented it would be much appreciated.

The second time it happened after I had just restored the system settings, I was in Excel propagating formulas quite happily, when the copy suddenly stopped working again.

Not a show stopper, but a bloody nuisance all the same. And I have no intention of upgrading to a later version of Office as I hate the damned ribbon and 2000 does all I need it to do. Ditto XP, and at least I can find what I want when I want it.

Incidentally, I had the same sort of rubbish happen in Outlook, but I haven't been able to restore that. When sending an email normally I just go Alt+S and it goes. Suddenly it stopped working. Alt+S still puts the focus on the Send button but I have to actually press the Enter key to actuate. Again, not a show stopper, just wondering why MS software decides that it knows best.

In both cases, no other keyboard shortcuts, whcih is what I normally use when I can, have been affected, or at least none that I have come across.

Thanks in anticipation.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Dear Kiwimuso:

I had a very similar problem. Try this solution

Open VBA and in the immediate window put in the following code:

Application.EnableEvents = False

Switch back to Excel and see if copy and paste is working.

If this works you may want to make this into a Macro and put it on a toolbar.

Just remember, to have full Excel functionality you should change the False back to True.

Good luck

Thanks
    I am surprised that there are not more issues.
    Given that 1 year of software life is equal to about 20 years in human life.
    Your software is about 240 years old!
    Most are long gone before this.
    Do you "Believe"? Do you vote? Please Read:
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    DETAIL in your question promotes DETAIL in my answer.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Software neither ages nor wears out.

It is an appalling state of mind, fostered by the IT industry, that it does and that regular replacement is a "good thing".

In many cases, due to the enormous load of conversion and re-learning, it is not.

Thanks
    How did that "kool-aid" taste?
    Do you "Believe"? Do you vote? Please Read:
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    DETAIL in your question promotes DETAIL in my answer.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(