Thanks

Meet the New PC: Not the Same as the Old PC

PC World has an interesting article and perspective on the PC of today. Take a look.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Ted,
    Interesting ....however I'm a "Dinosaur" and am going to ride my "desk top" and "Real OS's... till either I, or they can no longer function. Guess it's the same reason that some of my vehicles still have "Points and Plugs" with the engine facing in the correct direction and no computer control Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the link. Interesting article. People, especially the tech press, keep trying to declare the death of the desktop. Just like the press tried to declare the death of the PU truck and SUV in '08. Bottom line is that it ain't going happen. There will just be more options to choose from. For the same basic reasons I own both an econo-car and a large SUV, I have different computing platforms for different purposes. One doesn't replace the other.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Plain Fred View Post
    Hi Ted,
    Interesting ....however I'm a "Dinosaur" and am going to ride my "desk top" and "Real OS's... till either I, or they can no longer function. Guess it's the same reason that some of my vehicles still have "Points and Plugs" with the engine facing in the correct direction and no computer control Regards Fred
    Points? Seriously? God, I hated setting points. I do 95% of my own work on my cars. I do NOT miss those days at all. Computers have made vehicle maintenance a piece of cake.
    Last edited by Doc Brown; 2012-06-22 at 10:49.
    Chuck

Thanks
    I'll never give up my desktop either, if anything, I'd like to expand it with two or more monitors if I ever get around to staying in one place.

Having a tablet with a good 4G carrier is realy nice to have on a road trip, especially for those long distance trips through the desert from Tucson to LA.
    Battey life is fairly decent, and it's nice to have a device that is instant on the moment you open it.

I suspect there's an awful lot of people out there that only use a computer for surfing and checking email, in which case a desktop would be overkill.
    Even a laptop would be overkill for some. It's obvious the tablet is filling some niche otherwise Apple would'nt be doing as well as they are.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Don't worry. Whenever I've been in PC World I've never managed to find anyone who knows anything about computers.