Thread: Clock Ticking?

Banned Member
    Thanks

Thanks
    April 2014, plenty time left.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, I have to say that the clock is ticking down faster than we have believed. Last week I needed to do a reformat and reinstall of Windows XP Home to get rid of a pesky virus (zeroaccess). That reinstall and activation went fine. Turns out that this virus/rootkit is partially embedded in the MBR (Master Boot Record) so I had to do the whole thing over again, this time wiping out the entire partition. Reinstall went fine until the Activation stage. I got a message that "This product is no longer available for sale and does not qualify for activation". Well excuse me all to F but this product was paid for years ago and still has a valid license. Microsoft insisted that I had to upgrade to Win 7 to continue ($149 thank you). Yes it was easy to find a way of hacking the qualification stage but that is not the point. I can still install DOS 2.1 on my oldest computer and it doesn't complain. Why does XP?

I have a valid license but I needed to reinstall. Will that be impossible in the future without being forced to be a "pirate" (which I am not)?

Loaner

Thanks
    A simple call to MS could have solved the problem without any hacks. We never recommend hacking anything in the system. I have had to call MS on several occassions with activation problems both for the OS and for Office products and have always been assisted to my satisfaction. Just because the automatic activation did not work on this older product does not mean that MS will not assist you. Call and explain the reinstallation. They are very accomodating in my experience.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for your considered reply. The point of my post was to show that sometime between last week and this week Microsoft has started to deny online activation of XP and instead says you have to buy an upgrade to Win 7. They didn't offer a phone number to call if there were problems either.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Loaner,
    Hello...This is another reason that you should be Imaging your (XP) OS at the least weekly... Just for this sort of thing ...You could have been back in business in about 10 minutes ..Recovering you "Image" before the "Problem" There are several free programs that work well...Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Loaner, hello. I hate being ants at your picnic but two days ago, I called MS and got a machine reactivated, FREE ! I was doing IT for a friend and he did not have his keys, darn !

Thanks
    The MS support sites will give all the phone numbers you need just for the looking. I might take 5 minutes or so. MS Activation Support for XP.

Or Activation and Registration info.

Took me longer to type this reply than do a Google Search to find this info.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks everyone for your suggestions. In this case Fred, I was doing an IT repair for a neighbour and no, he has no idea about regular backups/images, etc. Again, my point is that in the past week MS has changed their online activation policy for XP. Without announcement. Sure, I can find phone numbers but it is a hassle. I have to wonder what they will change next. Will they decide to deny phone activation next? Who knows? That is why I decided to find a hack. At least that will almost always work.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Loaner in AB, greets.

>>> My point is that in the past week MS has changed their online activation policy for XP.

I do not know what you did that you did not find the site that gave me a new key for XP but I can tell you that I found happiness and a new activation and within the last week. JP.

New Lounger
    Thanks

XP Activation

There seems to be some confusion over what my issue is. I am sorry if I was not clear in my descriptions. 1) XP with OEM XP Home. 2) infected with a rootkit/virus that would not go away. 3) reinstalled XP with a reformat from the original disc with the original registration key stuck to the side of the computer. That all went well about 10 days ago and XP activated fine. Problem was the rootkit/virus was still there. 4) Reinstalled XP again with the original disc and the original registration key but deleted and recreated the old partiton which deleted the MBR and got rid of the remnants of the rootkit/virus. This was just last week only about 5 days after the successful activation. 5) Came time to activate it after making sure that it was now clear of the rootkit/virus and received a very distinct message that the product no longer qualified and the only way of getting around that was to purchase an upgrade to Win 7. There were no phone numbers listed on that page.

I am not trying to be Chicken Little, The Sky Is Falling type of person. Has anyone done a reinstall (with repartitioning and reformating) since about June 18? If so, did Activation go ok?

Thanks everyone.

Loaner