New Lounger
    Thanks

Reboot and select proper boot device or insert Boot Media ...

Sister in law has a 4 week old Gigabyte laptop running Windows 7 which has started giving this error message every time she powers on.
    "Reboot and select proper boot device or insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press key"

Using CTRL+ALT+DEL the boot disk is found and Windows starts, works without any problems for hours, until it is turned off again.

I called in to the shop where the computer was purchased and asked what was the most likely cause of the error message and boot problem...

Tech: “sounds like she’s got a virus”.
    Me: “she doesn’t have the internet so I don't think she has a virus, what else could be the problem?”

Tech: “oh she would have got the virus from a website or in an email”

Me: “she hasn’t visited any websites or downloaded any emails because she doesn’t have the internet, so what else could it be?”

Tech: “oh it must be a bad Windows Update then”

Me: “she does not have an internet connection so the computer hasn’t updated itself either”

Tech: “best if she brings it in then so we can have a look at it”

Me: “do you think the problem would be covered by warranty?”

Tech: “no, it’s definitely virus or update related”

hmmmmm.......

As I use a desktop computer and Windows XP, I’m not sure how to go about troubleshooting a laptop/Win7 combo. I tried running the Perfmon on her laptop but it wouldn’t go past the ‘generating report’ progress bar. Any advice on how to find out what is causing the issue would be greatly appreciated

Regards
    Sharon

Thanks
    Is this a reputable supplier of PC's? This is definitely a warranty problem. I would definitely contact the owner of the reseller you bought the PC from. It is possible to invalidate the warranty with improper T/S and repair. If the joker you talked to is the owner I would contact Gigabyte directly and report the problem. They have links for support and Contact Us.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

LG1964 (2012-06-22)

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LG1964 View Post
    Any advice on how to find out what is causing the issue would be greatly appreciated

LG,
    Try entering "BIOS" (configure) usually "Esc, or F-10 " depends on your PC ...Check to see that the "Boot order" is set to boot from
    1st ...CD\DVD's
    2nd... Hard Drive group
    3rd,4th anything else

Also check "Boot Menu" and make sure that the Boot partition is first in the Que... if there are partitions..
    If you can borrow a repair disk (Win 7 made on another PC) you could try to repair the "MBR" (boot portion of your HD)

Regards Fred

PS: See MBR
    Last edited by Just Plain Fred; 2012-06-22 at 08:52.
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Just Plain Fred For This Useful Post:

LG1964 (2012-06-22)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Ted
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks this techie is being 'less than honest', but I had to check I wasn't being a little bit biased!

The computer shop has been retailing for at least 9 years that I know of, with little competition in the local area. They sell a variety of brands, not just Gigabyte. I've only taken my computer there once (about 5 yr ago) for a new PSU. Wasn't happy with the patronising service or the replacement part. It was this same shop which convinced sis 4 weeks ago that her older laptop (purchased elsewhere) had a "burnt out motherboard" and that she needed to buy a brand new computer. She had only taken it in because her Outlook had 'disappeared'....shrugs

I was later asked if I could remove all her files from the old computer because she was going to give it to her son. I asked why she was giving it to her son if it was dead, as it would be cheaper to buy a new one than repair the old one. She told me she was still scanning her photos onto the old laptop because the new one didn't have picassa on it! I started it up, transferred all her data onto a USB external hard drive, ran the diagnostic program that was on the laptop (a dell) and got an error code which suggests a possible failing hard drive. Then I went through her bits of paper and found it was still under extended warranty. After a quick phone call, that one has now been sent to the warranty people for assessment and repair. Not bad for a computer with a 'burnt out motherboard' Huh!

Now my sister in law thinks I'm a miracle worker (despite my protestations to the contrary) and expects me to find something on her new laptop that will prove it is also a warranty issue - like the error code - as she is worried about being ripped off (yet again). While I've been able to keep my ancient XP desktops running without too much assistance for a number of years, I haven't a clue what I'm doing with laptops and Windows 7. With Perfmon (which I've never used before) not doing what I expected I have no idea what to try next

My sis will take the laptop into the computer shop where they will take up to a week before calling her and saying it was a massive virus infestation, not covered under warranty, and here's the bill for another $120 ... when really it was a bios that needed flashing, or a loose cable or something along those lines - unless I can find something that negates their usual waffle.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the tips Fred. I will give that a try over the weekend and see if it helps