New Lounger
    Thanks

Office XP won't print to USB printer in Windows 7

Just installed Office Xp in a new Win7 laptop. Word and Excel won't find the USB printer to print to. Wordpad, Firefox and Adobe Reader will. Is Office Xp incompatible with Windows 7? There is a "trial" version of Office included in the computer that I've never opened.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    This article might help: http://support.microsoft.com/ph/2533?sid=72

You could also try the option to run Office Xp in "Compatibility mode" for Windows XP. To do that, right click the desktop shortcut and go to "Properties" and then click the "Compatibility" tab. You'll find the option in there.
    Last edited by Xircal; 2012-06-22 at 09:59. Reason: added additional info

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I installed the service packs from microsoft from the referenced web page. Not the fix.
    There is no "Compatability" Tab in the Microsoft Office Properties window of my software package.
    The error message window from Excel has a statement that "no printer on Ne02"
    My printer is a Xerox 6180, which is a network printer with a USB port. I don't want to use the network capability with this Win7 laptop.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rrufer View Post
    There is no "Compatability" Tab in the Microsoft Office Properties window of my software package.
    Are you sure you're looking in the right place? The Compatibility tab is a common feature of all programs, but is only accessible by right clicking the desktop shortcut, then going to Properties. Here'a a screenshot of what it looks like.

compatibility_mode.png

4 Star Lounger
    Hillsborough (San Francisco Bay area), California, USA
    Thanks
    Ah, but if you look in the properties for each of the Office programs (Word, Excel, etc)...

Zig

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Zig For This Useful Post:

rrufer (2012-06-23)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I placed the shortcut on the desktop, right clicked it, and found the compatibility tab. There was a checkbox for "Run this program in compatibility mode for" and I chose Windows 7.
    Excel still won't print to the same printer on USB that WordPad successfully does.
    An error message says it can't find Printer on Ne02. How do I get this program to recognize that there is a printer on USB?
    Should I restart the computer? Is Excel trying to share with other apps? I don't want that to happen.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Rather than choosing Windows 7 for compatability, try XP Service Pack 3.

The compatability mode allows you to choose older operating systems that your software will work on.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rrufer View Post
    I placed the shortcut on the desktop, right clicked it, and found the compatibility tab. There was a checkbox for "Run this program in compatibility mode for" and I chose Windows 7.
    Excel still won't print to the same printer on USB that WordPad successfully does.
    An error message says it can't find Printer on Ne02. How do I get this program to recognize that there is a printer on USB?
    Should I restart the computer? Is Excel trying to share with other apps? I don't want that to happen.
    Choose Windows XP, not Windows 7.

You have to bear in mind that when Office XP was released even Windows Vista hadn't been released yet, let alone Windows 7.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I went to the Control Panel - Hardware and Sound - Devices and Printers window. Right clicked on the Printer icon and chose Properties. In the Sharing Tab, I deselected "Share this printer." I am now able to print to the printer with all the Office programs.
    Should I go back and choose Windows XP?

4 Star Lounger
    Hillsborough (San Francisco Bay area), California, USA
    Thanks
    Should I go back and choose Windows XP?
    If everything is working fine, no; but you've now learned how to use the compatibility tab for any other old programs (or their installers) that won't run correctly under Win 7.

Zig

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Zig For This Useful Post:

rrufer (2012-06-24)