Star Lounger
    Thanks

Mouse click misbehaving with latest patch?

Hi,

I'm having an odd issue with XP and my mouse... I thought it was Firefox (since I use it so much) but now I'm pretty sure it's Windows.

When I click on a link in FF it often opens a duplicate tab. And when I click on a button, it often doesn't -click-, rather it shows that odd oval thing I sometimes so when one holds down the mouse. I have to click all around the button to get it to 'go'. I 'reset' firefox, rebooted, did a virus scan. No difference.

Then I noticed that other programs (Filezilla) seem to be acting flakey... I click to perform an action and it seems like it's being asked to do it twice. (Like a file transfer--it happens then a window appears asking if I want to overwrite the file I just uploaded.)

Not happening on my other machines (running Win7)

Any ideas?

---JC

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Try restarting Firefox in its debugging feature called "Safe Mode" as follows:

1. If you have the layout with the oblong orange Firefox button top left, hit the ALT key to toggle the text links on.
    2. Click "Help", then "Restart with Add-ons disabled".
    3. In the menu which appears, click the button called "Continue in Safe Mode" without checkmarking any of the boxes.

When Firefox restarts, all your add-ons with be disabled temporarily, but plugins such as Flash will remain active.

Do whatever you do which causes the problem usually. If you don't get a duplicate tab in Safe Mode, then one of your add-ons is the culprit. In that event, repeat step #2 and then checkmark the top option in the next menu called "Disable all Add-ons". Then click the button called "Make changes and restart".

After that, it's simply a case of re-enabling your add-ons one by one until the problem recurs. Then you'll know which of them is the troublemaker.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Bad mouse. Just so happens it started to fail on a patch Tuesday. Thanks for the reply!