New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows Live Messenger loading problem

My wife has a laptop computer with 2GB of RAM and is running 32-bit Windows 7. When she tries to load WLM (version 2011) with any other program running (i.e. Outlook or a web browser), it gives an error "unable to load." However, if she loads WLM first (right after booting the computer), it loads just fine. She can then run other programs with no problems. Does anyone have an idea what could be causing this?

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Is there an error code?

Have you checked the event logs for more information?

Joe

Thanks
    Bob.

Candidly, cannot say what is causing this but, I do have a suggestion, maybe worth a try... > Programs & Features, Uninstall WL Essentials. Go to the link I have provided & install Messenger, alone, for starters. Let us know if there scenario changes, please.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-CA/messenger/home

Cheers,
    Drew

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The basic version of Messenger is now built into Hotmail. On the left-hand column in Hotmail scroll down until you see Messenger near the bottom and click to load it. This doesn't give you voice or video chat, but it will let you type messages in the usual basic way with any/all of your Live Messenger contacts. Also, I'm told you can use Messenger on Facebook these days, if that's any help. Both of these options can keep her in touch with friends while you figure out the main problem!

I agree with Bob's suggestion of completely uninstalling Windows Live Essentials. After uninstalling, I suggest that you run CCleaner to get rid of any leftover files or strange configuration settings that a regular uninstall might leave behind because those settings might affect how a fresh copy of Messenger runs later.

Then download and install a fresh copy. As always, you have to install the core Live Essentials program and choose which features of Essentials you want. At home, we've found Live Messenger, Photo Gallery and MovieMaker to be very useful programs so we choose these and leave out the other programs offered.

Thanks
    The suggestion was, actually, mine TO Bob

Cheers,
    Drew