New Lounger
    Thanks

help with task scheduler

Win 7 Home Prem 64 Bit.

Today went to set a Task for Sync Toy.
    When Task Scheduler opened, 8 errors popped up and with each one, the last sentence read: The task image is corrupt or has been tampered with.
    here are the 8:
    Task Consolidator.
    Task M/S-windows-diskdiagnostic datacollector.
    Task Winsat
    Task meupdate
    task dispactchrecovery tasks
    task SR
    task queuue reporting
    task confignotification &
    task calibration loader.

I thought Task Scheduler was turned off in Services - but is not. Its running. Then tried to stop it thinking that re-starting it would jump start it, but nope. Could not. All options greyed out.

ANY suggestions?
    Is there a 3rd party task scheduler I could use?

Thx

Thanks
    Are you positive there is not a malware or virus problem? It might be worth going into Safe Mode and scanning with MalwareBytes Antimalware, and Spybot Search and Destroy, along with a complete scan with your AV app.

It is possible your Task Scheduler is corrupt. Is this a new problem or are you unsure when it started? If it is a know new problem, System Restore might help. If it is not a new problem then a Repair Install might help. A repair install re-installs the Windows system files while leaving your other stuff alone.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,397 Times in 1,220 Posts

Administrator
    Thanks
    This may be of help too: http://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/Repair-CorruptedTampered-c8d2e975#content

A
    nyway, solving this is a huge task. Microsoft should have provided a decent fix. If you can remove the security fix in question, that will be the easier and much quicker solution.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    ran malware bytes & superanti spyware - in safe mode & M/S offline system sweeper. all fine.

Can not do a sys restore as everything (else) was working great.

I did set a task (on Sunday) to run Sync Toy on Monday - it worked. so Task Scheduler does work.
    so the errors must be tasks I disabled, but maybe not correctly?

I did try to locate (success with some) and attempted to delete the file from the library. I did get a error msg saying in essence could not delete the main folder unless deleted the sub folders (see attachment) but with empty folders THAT (msg) made no sense to me.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Administrator
    Thanks
    I had a similar problem, which I ignored until I saw your thread. This is not caused by malware, it was a Microsoft security update that did it. The links i posted have a solution, but it's pretty much hard work. I ended up configuring and running the script in my final link, which also requires installing SetACL, adding it to the PATH environment variable and changing it by adding each of the problem tasks to the script, as described in the instructions. The script did not succeed doing all the tasks it was supposed to complete, but it fixed all problem tasks and the problem is now solved.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    What I ended up doing was removing all tasks from the system32 folder and then moving/backing up to my back up drive. Then one by one copying a task back into the system 32 folder. Each time activating Task Scheduler. I continue until I get an error - those with the error will stay in the back up folder.

I saw a post in which certain M/S KB installs affected the Task scheduler - but I did not find the Kb install on my PC. So something else affected the task scheduler.

Administrator
    Thanks
    The Kb was included with SP1, I think. That might be part of the trouble. I hadn't the Kb either, but the fix worked nonetheless.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Explains why can't find the KB install in question.
    Wonder what other issues SP1 caused.

I ran SFC over the weekend and it reported a problem. I can't remember if I have even ran the SFC since having this PC. Though fairly positive it was at least prior to updting to SP1.