Thread: Erunt

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Erunt

I use the ERUNT program with Win 7 without any problem. However, in Win 8 RP, although the program is in the Startup folder, when I boot into Win 8 ERUNT fails to launch but I can start it manually without any problem. If anyone can tell me how to get the program to launch automatically when Win 8 boots I would be grateful.

Thanks and regards, Roy
    OS Dual Boot Win 7 Pro 64 Bit-SP1 & IE11 & Win 8.1 Pro 64 Bit & IE11-Intel Core i7 2600K Processor LGA1155-Asus P867 Pro Motherboard-GTX550 Ti DirectCU Graphics Card-Memory 8GB

Roy Whitethread

Thanks
    I did a wee bit of research on this & it might be cus, it's may not be fully compatible w/ Win8 or designed for Win8. This could explain why it won't go automatically. It goes back to early Windows & sort of up to & including Win7. You may do just as well to use the back-up native to the OS, instead. Sorry, that's the best I can offer.

Cheers,
    Drew

Thanks
    Why do you think you need to run ERUNT on every startup?

From the author's webpage, it seems that ERUNT hasn't been updated since October 2005. Like Drew above, I would be very wary of running a utility of this age which seem to work on Windows 7 only by chance, and which is presumably not privy to Microsoft's knowledge of the registry.

Would an occasional disk image backup (such as from Macrium Reflect, EaseUS ToDo Backup, Shadow Protect, Acronis TrueImage) not be a better move? The registry is only part of what would need to be restored in the event of a disaster.
    BATcher

Dear Diary, today the Hundred Years War started ...

Thanks
    You can, certainly, just use the native back-up (from w/in the OS). No, absolute, need for 3rd Party S/W although, that can, of course, be used, too (meaning, instead.

If, an "Image" back-up is done, that would include the Reg.

Cheers,
    Drew

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Drew and BATcher, I appreciate what you say and do make regular backup images with the paid version of Macrium Reflect. However, I find that restoring the registry from an ERUNT backup is a very fast way to put my desktop icons back where I want them when something causes them to become completely disorganised, or to cure some other glitch.

Regards,Roy
    OS Dual Boot Win 7 Pro 64 Bit-SP1 & IE11 & Win 8.1 Pro 64 Bit & IE11-Intel Core i7 2600K Processor LGA1155-Asus P867 Pro Motherboard-GTX550 Ti DirectCU Graphics Card-Memory 8GB

Roy Whitethread

Thanks
    If you want to save and subsequently restore icon positions to their previous locations, I would suggest the use of Desktop Restore (I use the command-line version Task Scheduled to back up their locations at logon time). Previously I used DesktopOK, but I found that to be less accurate at restoring icons.

No program appears to do a perfect job, and it amazes me that Microsoft didn't build something into successive operating systems to achieve this effect - or prevent "desktop icon location randomisation" happening in the first place.
    BATcher

Dear Diary, today the Hundred Years War started ...

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    BATcher, I have tried Desktop Restore and DesktopOK in the past, but now use the "supporters" version of IconRestorer.IconRestorer works 99% of the time, but on the odd occasion when it doesn't I use Erunt, as I mentioned previously.

I couldn't agree more with your comment about Microsoft.

Roy Whitethread

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by royw View Post
    I use the ERUNT program with Win 7 without any problem. However, in Win 8 RP, although the program is in the Startup folder, when I boot into Win 8 ERUNT fails to launch but I can start it manually without any problem. If anyone can tell me how to get the program to launch automatically when Win 8 boots I would be grateful.

Thanks and regards, Roy
    Hi Roy, try this, I used CCleaner for demo purposes only.

1.JPG
    George's PC Specs. / Laptop. Desktop.

Administrator
    Thanks
    I too would be very wary of a utility that has not been updated since 2005. The author plainly sets conditions and limits in using it with Windows 7 not to mention Windows 8. If you need to be able to frequently restore your system why not schedule the creation of a system restore point?

Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I opened ERUNT's properties page in Win 7 and Win 8, and edited Security to add Everyone, then gave Everyone full control, and the program now works properly in Win 8.

Regards, Roy

Roy Whitethread