New Lounger
    Thanks

Laptop starts more slowly slowly slowly....

Hi there,
    glad to be here, took me a while to find you (:

I am working since 1994 on PCs and in the internet and started the good old times with Windows 3.1 ... I am currently running a genuine Windows 7 on an ASUS Laptop which I bought end of last year in Berlin Germany and where the Harddisk collapsed after just three month...

When I set my Lappi up with the new harddrive it was very fast, usually I could start after around 20sec with working... Atm it takes around two minutes till I can start surfing the i-net or doing some other things. The registry is so blown and the processes running in the backround are so many and I have actually no idea what and which processes I can delete to make my machine faster again.

I am using OPERA Browser since 15 years, always happy with it, having a friend working at McAffee I have a full version running as a virus detector

Which processes can I delete to make it faster and how can I find threats my Avirus not found... I guess there are some...

thx in advance
    moskito

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Try performing a clean boot: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Consider Soluto as well, to delay or stop any unwanted programs which run at bootup time.

https://www.soluto.com/home

Zig

Thanks
    You might have a lot of apps loading with Windows. Every time you install an app, the app wishes to load itself in the Start Up Folder. Use a small app called What's in Startup to find and disable or Delete these apps that DO NOT need to start. They are hogging resources and may be part of the slow down. The download link is down towards the bottom of the page

.WhatsInStartup.jpg
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    If you take Ted's suggestion, http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/startups/ has a searchable list of startup items that will suggestions as to whether you should disable the item, leave it alone, or up to user preference. If you don't find an item in the list, do a google search on it so you can determine enough to make a decision on whether to leave it in.

Jerry

Thanks
    Many OEM laptop manufacturers will always add their own diagnostic and backup software, not to mention their own flavor of power management utilities.

As an example, my new Lenovo X220 laptop out of the box displays over 97 running processes upon fresh bootup. (without adding any of my own)
    My Windows 7 desktop, on the other hand, displays less than 40, that's after I've managed them. But my desktop is a home built computer with a genuine OS disk clean installation.

The key to figuring this out will be to learn what software you have preinstalled and determining whether you want to continue using them or not.
    Most of the added software will have been tested by the manufacturer, quite often the user will throw a wrench into this by inadvertently adding software that may or may not destabalize this specific balance achieved by the manufacturer.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CLiNT View Post
    The key to figuring this out will be to learn what software you have preinstalled and determining whether you want to continue using them or not.
    Most of the added software will have been tested by the manufacturer, quite often the user will throw a wrench into this by inadvertently adding software that may or may not destabalize this specific balance achieved by the manufacturer.
    Strange comment.

What should the user do? Contact the manufacturer beforehand to see if their new software will or will not destabilise the current environment?

Thanks
    No. But one should always consider the fact that software and drivers can & do interact negatively in any setup, especially OEMs.
    Running CCleaner and removing startup applications may not be enough on all computers and in every instance.
    There will also be some degree of experimentation that a user should undertake to weed out sluggish or buggy software combinations
    to determine what works best for any specific setup.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks

first off all I want to say THANKS to all of you for spending the time writing.... Very helpfull tips here, I am a bit short of time today but will try to do some of them tomorrow morning.
    I deleted the TREND MICRO TITANIUM Antivirus, It came with the Win 7 and after a month free, the window always popped up... since I deleted this one it saved a lot of time, machine starts now faster, which makes me happy but not totally...

anyway, will work on it tomorrow THANKS ... and to my English football friends here THANK YOU for leaving the Italians to us (the germans) now
    I was so happy for England until the Penaltyshootout was so sure this time they make it to the final

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CLiNT View Post
    No. But one should always consider the fact that software and drivers can & do interact negatively in any setup, especially OEMs.
    Running CCleaner and removing startup applications may not be enough on all computers and in every instance.
    There will also be some degree of experimentation that a user should undertake to weed out sluggish or buggy software combinations
    to determine what works best for any specific setup.
    Absolutely, but the average user will never checking things like these and so the registry will blow up and more and more processes running in the backround
    slowing the machine down. Its a crime, made by close to all programs running under Windows. I WANT to try out LINUX since years because I learned its much
    much better and safer, but I am just too lazy, or too busy, like most other users

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Windows Task Manager is a very helpful source of information at times like this. On one of my older computers if I check the Performance tab, I discover that 100% of CPU is in use UNLESS I perform a certain silly act that I have yet to figure out. (The silly act is that I must turn on the switch for wireless, and if anyone has any idea of what is going on with that, I'd like to hear it. The computer is otherwise very well-behaved.) In your case, unless it is as extreme as that, then the Processes tab will show you what is running and the resources it is consuming. In my view that is the first place to look, after which all of the above posts are of interest.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You mentioned in your opening post that you have the full version of McAfee installed. However, you mentioned in post #10 that you recently deleted Trend Micro AV. Running two antivirus programs on the same machine is always going to cause system slowdowns because they will interfere with each other.

The question now is, do you have any other security apps running? I suggest you go to Windows Control Panel, then "Programs and Features" and check to see what programs you have installed. Uninstall any security apps which may still be present if you want to keep McAfee.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    @ dogberry, Thanks for the tip with the TaskManager... I am always using this tool and it is indeed very helpfull. If your CPU always showing 100% usage, there is something wrong. I just found on a PC of my friend that his PC is used as a server and slowed it totally down, he had also running a little tool called currency converter. Tools like this are always connected with the internet and slowing it down too...so who needs a currency converter in real time always running? maybe banksters and brokers....

@ Xircal, I mentioned also that TREND MICRO was a test version for 30 days, thats why I deleted it, I just was to lazy before and yes, you are absolutely right, two different AntiVirus Programs will always force the CPU to slow down your machine... I have no spybots running atm nor other security programs except McAffee...and to be honest, if McAffee is was not free to me because a friend of mine is working there, I will never used it (:

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You might try downloading CurrPorts from here: http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/cports.html

It's a standalone app, so no installation required, but it'll maybe help you identify any outbound connections that may be suspicious.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Perhaps the cooling vents are plugged up. When my laptop suddenly starts to slow down, I put my hand over the cooling vent to determine if there is any air flow. If not, I pop open the bottom (or battery or whatever is closest to the cooling vent) and use a can of compressed air to clean out the accumulated dust (at times the dust is so thick that it looks like a piece of felt). Then it runs wonderfully fast again (or actually, it doesn't limp along as slowly any more).