Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Changing the default e-mail

Is there a way to change the default e-mail. Right now if I invoke e-mail from a Windows application, I end up with Windows Live. I would like to change this to be gmail. Can I do this, or am I locked in to the Windows e-mail. Any insight that anyone would care to provide will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Ron M

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Windows Live is an email client, not a specific email address. You can load many different email addresses in , including Gmail, and check them all at once.

In Win 7 and Win 8 RP there is a setting in Control Panel called Default Programs. You set your default apps here. Since you did not specify which version of Windows you are using, I hope this hits the right one.

See if this helps with Windows XP.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Tom, thanks for the information. Sorry for the omission, I am working in Windows 7 (64 bit). I know that Windows Live is an e-mail client. What I want to have happen relates to the following - often on a web site, they will have a choice that says "Contact us". When I click on the choice, it takes me to Windows Live e-mail client. I would like it to take me to my Gmail client instead. This is the "option" that I would like to know how to set up. Basically, I want my Gmail to be the default. I hope I am understanding this correctly. I would appreciate any further insight you could give me. Thanks.

Ron M

Thanks
    Ok, the new information might change things. Try Internet Options, the Programs Tab and check Internets Programs.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I guess I am a bit confused as Gmail isn't really a program, rather it is website which shows me my e-mail when I go there with the appropriate protocols. So I guess the question is more how do I get Windows Live to invoke Gmail rather than a Microsoft e-mail program. Maybe I am not even asking the right questions - don't know - am I making any sense in this?

Ron M

Thanks
    As I mentioned in my first post, Windows Live can get your Gmail mail, but it cannot open the Gmail web page. I am not sure you can cause IE to open Gmail as the default web page. I suppose you could set Gmail as one of the tabs that is opened when you open IE (One of the Home Pages you set up). Or you could use Google Chrome which would use Gmail as the default mail page.

If you would like the Gmail web page to open when you open IE to whatever page you use as your home page, simply add it to the Internet Options, General, Home page section. For example my home pages are MSN and Yahoo (opens 2 tabs) To add Gmail I would simply add the URL to the Home Pages to open.

AddGmailToHomePage.jpg
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    This will solve one of my current situations - helps to automate a few pages that I normally open when I start up IE - it worked, so thanks for this suggestion. It still doesn't solve the problem that I posted originally - how to get Gmail to open as the "default" e-mail when I click on a "contact us" button on a web page - what happens now is that Windows Live opens, whereas I would like Gmail to open instead. Maybe this is not possible given the incestuous relationships of a lot of Windows programs. Any other thoughts - if Windows Live cannot open my Gmail page, is there a way to circumvent Windows Live opening and go directly to Gmail?

Ron M
    Last edited by Ron M; 2012-06-25 at 20:04.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Bruce, looks interesting, but the download page says it requires Windows 2000 or XP. So the question is - will it work with Windows 7 - 64 bit? I couldn't see that it would or would not - any idea whether it will or not?

Ron M

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Try this more recent third-party version which recommends Windows 7: Gmail Notifier - The easier way to check your Gmail

Bruce

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron M View Post
    This will solve one of my current situations - helps to automate a few pages that I normally open when I start up IE - it worked, so thanks for this suggestion. It still doesn't solve the problem that I posted originally - how to get Gmail to open as the "default" e-mail when I click on a "contact us" button on a web page - what happens now is that Windows Live opens, whereas I would like Gmail to open instead. Maybe this is not possible given the incestuous relationships of a lot of Windows programs. Any other thoughts - if Windows Live cannot open my Gmail page, is there a way to circumvent Windows Live opening and go directly to Gmail?

Ron M
    I wanted to see if it worked for me and this is what I got. I do have have to select gmail from the popup but I do get there. Are you getting this popup? I selected gmail and it took me there with the site name inserted. I'm using Firefox 13.0.1 on a Win 7 Home Premium x64. I haven't changed anything.
    Attached Images Attached Images

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Ochie, I am using IE, so I don't know what the equivalent would be - maybe there isn't one. If there is, it is unclear to me how you got to this set of panels? Would you care to expand on your process? Thanks.

Ron M

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    Try this more recent third-party version which recommends Windows 7: Gmail Notifier - The easier way to check your Gmail

Bruce
    I will try this and see if it resolves the problem I am looking to solve. Thanks.

Thanks again for the insight on how to open multiple "home" pages. It has been a real help.

Ron M
    Last edited by Ron M; 2012-06-26 at 14:47.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post

Bruce
    I have installed it, figured out how to turn off the sound and other setups...so we will see. Thanks for the help.

Ron M

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron M View Post
    Ochie, I am using IE, so I don't know what the equivalent would be - maybe there isn't one. If there is, it is unclear to me how you got to this set of panels? Would you care to expand on your process? Thanks.

Ron M
    OK, this is what I get with IE9. Does your window look similar? Notice on the right it's from the gmail account. I checked my gmail sent folder online and it's there. I haven't set any special configurations so maybe there's another issue going on. I can gather up my mail client configuration and see what's different than yours.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Ochie; 2012-06-26 at 15:40.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast