New Lounger
    Thanks

System File Checker Tool

I need some information as to access new files for repair and replace, after running System file checker. I read the page Microsoft provides, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833/en-us and I think I understand it somewhat. The page does not include where I can obtain the new files, I searched my Vista install disk, and nothing appeared. I am including the files that SFC states that are corrupted.

no_il.cur, pgtext.dll, pgedit.dll, fde.dll, and fdeploy.dll

The SFC report states where the files are located (System32) and the backup copies (Stores) are also corrupted.
    What the Microsoft article, does not state as to where, or how to obtain fresh copies, or how to properly substitute them.
    (I know it's an administrator thing).

Thanks for any help
    T Rapson

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    SFC checks the integrity of Windows protected system files. If one or more are found to be corrupt, it will restore them from here: %WinDir%\System32\dllcache.

If the OS cannot find the file in the DLL cache, or the cache itself is corrupted, it will request the installation media and restore from there.

But what's the nature of the problem exactly?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the help Xircal, One of the problems is IE9 will install, but will not run. After reading your response, I searched for the files in System32, they were not there (I unchecked "Show system files and folders" and "Hide protected operating system files (Recommend)) they are just not there. Apparently, SFC will report files as corrupt, when they are actually missing.
    SFC was my last stop before reinstalling Vista anyway.
    Thanks again for the help

Thanks
    You want Show system files and folders checked.

Jerry

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If IE9 won't run after you install it, there should be a event logged with the reason. Here's how to use Event Viewer efficiently in Vista which might help you track down the reason: http://www.computerperformance.co.uk...ent_viewer.htm

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I reinstalled IE9 and It works. But is takes 1:02secs for it to load my Home Page. I looked at some of the slow startup issues in the IE forum and tried this: "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" -extoff this command line disables addons, it stills take 1 minute 2 seconds. I've messed with so many setups now including the lounge will log me in, but I am not login (I am typing this in Firefox now) I got IE9 all screwed up. If I didn't have any bad luck I would not have any luck at all. I am going to reset IE9 and start over, or roll back to IE8.
    thanks for all your help