Thread: Starttls

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Starttls

running XP SP3 as OS.
    i've been running office 2003 suite, which includes Outlook [OL] for many years. this is new for me:
    suddenly (last night), it stopped sending emails.
    no problem to receive.
    cannot sen nor forward.
    after a LONG while, gives me an email message with subject "unable to send [the subject of my mail]"
    when i open that nitification its gives:
    Must issue a STARTTLS command first
    contacted ISP provider, who took remote control of the desktop, checked setting, made many attempts, and concluded that it was OL corrupted.
    i also have a netbook, which i use occasionally (it runs W7 as OS).
    same problem.
    called ISP again, who indicated that i could be having a virus which propagated between the machines via my home wireless network.
    contacted the support of my antivirus program.
    he verified it is not a virus and i'm not infected.
    recommended a system restore for a week ago, which i did.
    not good.

any ideas?

your help will be GREATLY appreciated.

thanks in advance

daniel rozenberg

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Is it an ISP provided email account causing this?
    This usually happens when you need to authenticate with the sending email server and you need to use a TLS encryption for the connection.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    yes, my ISP is phone company here in Canada, Bell Canada [BC].
    the tech. support who took remote control of my machine verified that all OL settings were correct.
    BC has a joint venture with Microsoft Hotmail [MH], so I can access the ISP server from Hotmail.
    If I access the account at the server, I can email from there without any problem, because I am using MH.
    All seems to be pointing to OL, but all sems ok in settings.
    Question:
    Where is that SL encription set?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Bell Canada's support indicates SSL is required: http://internet.bell.ca/index.cfm?me...ontent_id=7181. Look at the window in step 10. You need to have the This server requires an encrypted connection option checked.

If you have it, it may be a temporary issue with the mail server. Although Outlook issues cannot be ruled out definitively, I doubt that they would just appear out of the blue, in two computers, at the same time, unless similar changes were done in both computers just before that happened. Does your AV monitor email? If so, did it change recently?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    i have everything set as the url you referred me to.
    no solution [ns].
    i disabled email protection at the AV program.
    ns.
    i created another email account in OL and msde it the default. tried to send email from there.
    ns.
    everything points to OL issue.
    next, will uninstall office 2003 suite and reinstall.again.
    will report results.
    BTW: THANKS A LOT for your guidance into the Bell site.

Administrator
    Thanks
    If you need independent checking and can create a temporary account, I don't mind testing it with my Outlook. PM me the details, if you want to try that.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    let me see if i understand you correctly (i have never done this):
    i will open OL, create another new account with different name and password, and PM to you those details?
    if you replicate these settings in your OL (and it works), i believe that this would be indicative that OL in your machine works OK, eliminating my clumsiness in setting up an account.
    is that a correct understanding?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by danielr2 View Post
    let me see if i understand you correctly (i have never done this):
    i will open OL, create another new account with different name and password, and PM to you those details?
    if you replicate these settings in your OL (and it works), i believe that this would be indicative that OL in your machine works OK, eliminating my clumsiness in setting up an account.
    is that a correct understanding?
    Well, I am thinking this is a server problem. Anyway, if I can access your server without issues, that would mean the problem is with your Outlook / ISP. If I cannot, it would mean the server is to blame.

You would need to be able to create a new account with your ISP, though. You can't do that through Outlook, most likely.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    well, while awaiting for your reply, i created a new account, which i declared default.
    i highlighted and copied each of the typing i was entering and pasting them in a notepad sheet, to avoid transcription mistakes.
    could not even reach using that account, the pop server tells me i didn't enter the password correctly.
    so, i'm calling ISP for them to guide me in this new account creation (more likely will be a remote taking over), there we will see my OL/ISP in action.
    will keep you posted.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Ok, will be around .

11. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

danielr2 (2012-06-28)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    thanks (again) for your assistance.
    maybe i was not clear when describing how the technicians did access my account from outside OL.
    the open Hotmail and when right clicking in the window where the email address should be entered, all my sympatico AND (my only one) hotmail account display down.
    selecting that i want, only leaves me to fill the password below.
    this is a procedure i have used extensively before when i am outside home, without my netbook, i request or rent a machine and see mails received, and if wished forward / delete/etc.
    fr instance, with this new account, i will PM the address and password, and you'll be able to access it.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Hi Daniel,

Using my Outlook 2010 I had no trouble sending email. I cannot confirm it was received, as it seems some login limit per time period was reached. As it stands, it seems the problem is not with the server.

In order to rule determine if it is Outlook or something else (some issue with your provider, router or firewall), do you want to try installing Mozilla Thunderbird? It should be pretty straightforward and pretty similar to Outlook, configuration wise. It would be nice, if you could. If Thunderbird worked, the issues could be with Outlook, if not, then it's something with your network or with your provider.

P.S: I did get the two test emails, so everything seems to be working.