Thread: Network name ?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Network name ?

Hello.
    I am back home and on W-8, yeah !
    I am trying to network my Toshiba laptop to the Acer running W-8 but it will not be seen. It is seen in a network called Homework. How can I change this default name to the name of my LAN where I can see all other machines here that are on my LAN called Roxboro ? I need to update transactions and stuff from the laptop used when away to this main machine, an Acer desktop. Thanks. JP.

Thanks
    JP, Good morning. Have you tried Right Click on the Network icon on your taskbar and choosing Open Network and Sharing Center? In this window you should be able to Set Up a New Connection or Network. From there, try to set up the connection to your Roxboro Network.

The other possibility would be to try to run the Trouble shooter and see if it solves your problem.

Realize that I am not a network guru so these might not work. If not perhaps one of our gurus could step in to help solve your problem.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    I think what you want to change is your workgroup name.
    Hold down the Windows key and tap Pause Break.
    Click on Advanced System Settings
    Click on the Computer Name tab
    Click on the Change button at the bottom
    Make sure the radio button is set for Member of Workgroup and type the Workgroup name to match the name assigned to your other computers
    Click OK

Jerry

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Network ?

A very good morning to you, Ted.
    Yes, I had tried all your suggested options before I wrote my request here. The network was working but the W-8, even if seen on it, was not openable. It was seen on my Toshiba, not on the IBM G1. On the Toshiba, it asked for a user name and PW and even if entered, it would not open. It was asking the wrong input.

Jerry has the right suggestion. See his next post. JP.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Solution.

Jerry, a nice early day to you.

You hit it on the nail, as soon as I got to the proper dialog, I was in familiar country but getting to it was the bone. The Win-k/Pause was the secret.

I think what you want to change is your workgroup name.
    Hold down the Windows key and tap Pause Break.
    Click on Advanced System Settings
    Click on the Computer Name tab
    Click on the Change button at the bottom
    Make sure the radio button is set for Member of Workgroup and type the Workgroup name to match the name assigned to your other computers
    Click OK

That sure did it. A mega thanks to you. It sure is different in W-8, I could get to this easy in W-7 and previous OS. With your advanced thinking, I am now able to get to this via Control Panel -> Advanced System Settings. It is only a question in knowing where it is and getting to it. Again, thanks. JP.

Thanks
    Win + X, System will do the same thing, and may be easier to remember to most users. On my laptop Win + Pause requires a third key, Fn key next to Win key. (Pause is a Fn key on the same actual key as Insert)
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Further.

Jerry, hello.
    I will again thank you for the last information. I have had a SMART HD warning that it was failing and it did. I have now redone the W-8 RP and was able to set it all up as before on a small spare SATA of 80 Gigs, in waiting for a larger HD. This redo process was so smooth when properly instructed and more important, remembering how to do this in W-8. It is quite faster than before too after the ritual redo.
    some funnies : Now when going to Excel or Word from my Office 2000 CD, it goes straight into it, no warning about not being compatible. This also goes for Paint Shop Pro v.6 and I swear, I did not do anything different this time.
    I did a clean install and I am amazed to see that somewhere it remembered that I also wanted a French keyboard, where did it pick this up ?
    As per usual, I have only the Desktop tile on my screen and I use -8 as I did -7. Smooth this is !
    My 16 x 9 screen is also seen, 1920 x 1080. Quite nice. The driver is supposed to be for Vista vintage but it runs fine in W-8. Great. JP.

Thanks
    I found the second, or was it third, install went exceedingly fast. I saved everything I wanted to install in a folder on my Win 7 (including .exe files, favs) so it just went FAST to get it set up. By this time I was more familiar with how to do things so the customization was quick.

Glad things worked so well JP
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Glad things worked so well.

Makes two of us, Ted.

You would not have a nice 250 G HD sitting around doing nothing, would you ? I tried getting one on Egg yesterday and they only ship UPS, I refused. A carrier will always charge duties and a clearing charge that is really not logical to afford on even a $1.00 item, at times, from eBay. USPS gets the item to my door just for postage.

Now to clone this last redo ! JP.

Thanks
    Sorry, no. I used to ship to Canada regularly and the extra charges were a pain. I can ship from here to California in 3 days or less using first class mail (small package) for less than $5 USD. Yet to ship to Montreal for the same small package will take up to 2 weeks and cost between $20 and $30 USD. Absolutely ridiculous!
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Agreed, Ted. I found that using USPS, it was quite cheap, not carrier please as I have returned items that were costing more in clearing charges even if there was no duty to pay. Never fear, I just talked to a techie at Newegg and they have a warehouse north of the 45th and have agreed to send me one after I PayPaled them the amount. Should be here before the weekend. Way to go !
    Have a gorgeous day. Jean.

Thanks
    That is good news. If you have Win 8 RP running good on your small HD, Image it with a good Imaging app, then just restore the Image to the new HD. As long as the new HD is larger, there should not be any problems. That will be the quickest way to set up the new HD.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Ted, I got one over you now. With Acronis, I have cloned larger to smaller if only the data can fit on the smaller HD. It does not clone empty spaces.
    My Acer W-8 is all guts open now and will be until I get back from the boonies again, gone three weeks. The HD should wait here.
    And cloning back is what I intended to do, I now have the W-8 on a 160 G 2.5" laptop HD. It should fit one this coming HD of 500 Gs. I have about 10 to 12 of these 2.5" HDs as I clone all the machines that I IT for. They are dime/dozen on eBay. You be good and do not let the Windmiller bother you too much. LOL. Jean.

Thanks
    Did you see the announcement about Windows 8 Pro pricing announcement. This also includes Media Center at no additional cost. Between the Surface Pro and this announcement, it does appear MS is serious about Win 8!
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, Ted, for this URL on the $$$ issue. There is no way that I could turn this down. Off to the boonies again for the next three weeks, keep the ship afloat ! I will read this forum but will not enter any comment as I will be on W-7 on the Toshiba laptop.