Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks

Why Microsoft killed the Windows Start button

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Interesting. A quote: "Microsoft claims it took the controversial decision to remove the Start button from the traditional Windows desktop because people had stopped using it."

While I'm one of those who really doesn't see a huge functionallty or useability difference with the Start screen, I think someone at MS must be smoking the funny weed if they really believe that the Start button has fallen out of favor. It really depends on the user. I see lots of people wanting desktop shortcuts more than using either the Start menu or the task bar.
    Chuck

Thanks
    I like to keep a clean desktop so shortcuts are out, but the task bar has proven to be extremely usefull.As for the start menu, as long as I can get into the file system with explorer, I could care less if there is no start menu.

Thanks
    There are so many different ways to accomplish things without the Start Menu on the desktop, this is something that quite frankly is not needed. Plus there are several such easy ways to add a Start Menu back into the Desktop that this discussion about the Start Menu, IMHO, is a moot point. I also only use the Start Menu for very infrequently used apps and a few of the System Tools, and even these operations can easily be added to the Taskbar. As Drew is in favor of saying "Why struggle or stress over Start?"
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I think the main reason for Metro is to try and sell apps period. Customizing is fine if you know how. Think about all of the clueless users who've never been involved in that. You know the ones who have a little problem take the computer to be repaired and don't know about system repair or event logs.
    Joe

Thanks
    Apple does the same thing. How many of the apps available for the iPad are free? It is my belief that Win 8 RT tablets and the iPad are for playing, not for work. To do real work on a tablet you need Win 8, or Win 8 Pro, not Win 8 RT. That is why the Surface Pro is such an exciting concept. Surface Pro will have the Desktop UI as readily available as it is with conventional desktops and laptops.

Heck, I read a post last week sometime comparing the market price of Apple versus MS. How is this relevant? Perhaps because Apple sells so many of those apps (how many of those apps are for playing games or somewhat like garbage that know one wants) I don't blame MS a bit for trying to sell apps for playing. I will not buy them because I use a PC, whether conventional or tablet, for work. If I buy a tablet ultimately it will run Win 8 Pro. I do not have the luxury of buying all those play toys out there. I have to be able to justify a purchase like that.
    Last edited by Medico; 2012-06-28 at 17:18.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    Clint,

BTW, IF, the Desktop Toolbar is enabled, one can have any # of desktop icons, including shortcuts, un check Show Desktop Icons & you will have none (showing) but, yet, have them @ your fingertips, stashed neatly out of sight in the Desktop Toolbar. One can, also, drill down to anything, anywhere from what's in the Desktop Toolbar. Which fits w/ my agreeing w/ you... if, you're getting to everything via an Applications fold or Windows Explorer or , or, or, then, yes, who gives a tinker's damn about Start.

Excuse the crazy run on sentence. Still, got the point said.

Cheers,
    Drew
    Last edited by Drew1903; 2012-06-29 at 00:54.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    From an eperienced user the start menu isn't a massive problem being gone BUT from a residential user who is not super savvy to the PC the start menu is a key component to their pc. It is where they go to do virtually anything they dont have a shortcut for.

At the same time, as an I.T. Professional, I cannot tell you how many support calls will start with me saying ok go to the start menu, and then navigating a user from there to where I need them to go.

Apple attempted this in the 1st version of OSX, they removed the Apple Menu. People went nuts and Apple respectfully added it back and it has been there ever since because PEOPLE USE IT.

If people use it you leave it alone..... period

Thanks
    I am, also, an IT Pro & I had stopped using the old start menu long ago. Seems, many others had, also. Now, when my clients call me they will simply get walked down a different path & bob's your uncle. In time, all this sort of conversation about this subject will just be a vague memory. The 1st (comeback) question will continue to be, "What OS?" & what is appropriate for that System is the 'path' that will be discussed. This isn't the 1st OS w/ differences from the previous & likely won't be the last.

Cheers,
    Drew

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Kill the Start button? They should kill the whole operating system. Windows 8 is merely a phone OS on a desktop.

Thanks
    Have you even tried Win 8? You will get a lot of disagreement on that statement!
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Xircal View Post
    Kill the Start button? They should kill the whole operating system. Windows 8 is merely a phone OS on a desktop.
    Care to qualify that?
    Chuck

Thanks
    "Windows 8 is merely a phone OS on a desktop."

That is 100% incorrect!

Regards,
    Drew

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Myers View Post
    Have you even tried Win 8? You will get a lot of disagreement on that statement!
    No, it doesn't appeal to me at all. The colours are horrible and I don't want IE shoved in my face every time I bootup.

But I suspect M$ has looked at the way Apple has risen from ranks and now wants to break into the hardware market hoping some of their success will rub off on them. Windows 8 on a phone looks the same way it does on a desktop which is the way the iPhone and a Mac looks.

Similarly, Microsoft is trying to imitate Apple with its Surface tablet hoping to emulate their success. They'll doubtless sell a few to the Windows 8 hardliners who contribute to this forum, but in the tablet market at least, they're doomed because not only do they have Apple to contend with, there's also Google's Android OS to take into consideration. If they wanted to break into the tablet market, they should have done so years ago, not when the market is already saturated.

It baffles me why Apple doesn't release its operating system for general sale because if they did, it would sideline Microsoft completely. But I like to build my own equipment, so unless I want to go the Linux route, I'm stuck with M$ for the time being.

But Windows 8? No way baby!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,139 Times in 1,050 Posts
    Getting back to topic, to avoid throwing myself into a pointless discussion about an incredibly simplistic (and erroneous, IMHO) view of Windows 8, back in February, Paul Thurrot provided a more reasoned argument for the removal of the start button: http://www.winsupersite.com/article/...-button-142338
    Last edited by ruirib; 2012-06-30 at 04:27. Reason: spelling

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast