2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

New wireless user, need help with security problem

Here's some background. I've been using a wired ethernet network since I set it up in 2004. After 5 days of rain and crappy weather, lost my DSL, and called Verizon. Wound up with a no cost upgrade to wireless. Got a Westell A90-7500 modem/router (802.11g). Setup was no problem. Got my password changed and the SSID set to not broadcast. Default security is WEP. So here's the problem. Reset security to WPA/all. Hosed my connection and had to spend 45 minutes getting everything back to where it was (didn't get any documentation from Verizon - but d/l'd one after I got things working again). Error message said that the new setting (WPA) was incompatible with my 'puter. Network has 2 laptops - 1 with XPSP3, and the main one with 7SP1, and both are working fine with WEP. WEP is WAY better than nothing at all, but I'd really like to have WPA instead. The 2 'puters are set up as a home network. I've yet to track down the problem - can anyone help with some suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Y'all take care.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Do both computers support WPA? Did you change their settings accordingly?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

Patrad (2012-07-03)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks ruirib. Just temporarily got back online, due to a major problem with the phone line. Service tomorrow. Anyway, both do support WPA & WPA2, just didn't have a chance to try it out last night before the phone line problem started. While I had no internet since last night, I started poking around today, and I discovered that the settings were still on WEP. So - after the line problem is fixed tomorrow, I'll do it over with WPA2 and see what happens.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Ok, keep us posted then .

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

Patrad (2012-07-03)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Apparently, the settings didn't get changed before the crash. All's well now, with both 'puters & the router/modem on WPA2.

Now for the next question. The Router firewall has 4 settings: Off (default); low; medium; and high security. I'm leaning toward low, which allows all traffic except for known attacks. It does, however, allow the modem to be seen and I don't like that. As I said in the first post, I'm a wireless newbie, so go easy on me for not knowing.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Why would you lean to the low setting? I would lean to the high. If it doesn't affect how you access the internet, that would be my choice. Of course, I don't know what each of these modes do, so if you have info on that, it can help to make a decision.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

Patrad (2012-07-03)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Should have specified the others, sorry.

Medium: The medium security setting only allows basic Internet functionality by default, just like High level security. Medium security, however, allows customization through Port Forwarding configuration so certain traffic can pass.

High: The high security setting only allows basic Internet functionality. The High security setting guarantees to only pass Mail, News, Web, FTP, and IPSEC. All other traffic is not allowed. High security restricts modification by NAT configuration options.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Medium or high would be my choice. I think being stealth is a good thing, security wise, which rules out low. I don't really see much difference between medium and high, in practical terms, so either would be fine, IMO.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

Patrad (2012-07-03)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks ruirib. Guess I'll have to do some reading on port forwarding, and such. I'll be in touch.

Y'all take care.